Woodnet Forums
Rubio Monocoat - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Rubio Monocoat (/showthread.php?tid=7335335)

Pages: 1 2

Rubio Monocoat - Peter Tremblay - 12-05-2017

Hello all,

I know that I have not been on the forum must in the last few years... I actually got a job that is keeping me very busy.  But I absolutely love it.

So, my question is about Rubio Monocoat.  Has anyone used it?  What would you thoughts be?

Rubio Monocoat

It seems to simply be Linseed oil, waxes, and an accelerant.  You put on coat on heavily then buff it out after about 10 minutes.  That's it.

I'm building a granite topped table  for the house where some of the students live and I was thinking of trying this on that island.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

RE: Rubio Monocoat - page2171 - 12-05-2017

No idea, but welcome back!  You have been missed.

RE: Rubio Monocoat - Snipe Hunter - 12-06-2017

Good to see you Peter. Hope to see you more often.

RE: Rubio Monocoat - jteneyck - 12-06-2017

There was a post at SMC that showed it has poor resistance to water. Based on that I would only consider it for applications that don't need resistance to liquids. You might be just as well served with Danish oil, and at far lower cost.

John

RE: Rubio Monocoat - Wipedout - 12-06-2017

Hey Peter

Welcome back

It’s a good product. Especially for a table top. Easy repair. Water resistance is good if you use the Oil Plus or 2C Oil Plus

Main thing to remember is it’s a matte finish.

And unlike the instructions with single coat. I sand to 220. Apply finish. Then sand again to 220 and apply one more time.

Have you checked out the Instagram feed of Canadian woodworks? They swear by it

RE: Rubio Monocoat - Peter Tremblay - 12-06-2017

(12-06-2017, 05:21 PM)Wipedout Wrote: Hey Peter

Welcome back

It’s a good product. Especially for a table top.  Easy repair. Water resistance is good if you use the Oil Plus or 2C Oil Plus

Main thing to remember is it’s a matte finish.

And unlike the instructions with single coat. I sand to 220. Apply finish. Then sand again to 220 and apply one more time.

Have you checked out the Instagram feed of Canadian woodworks?  They swear by it

I'm been looking at a lot of posts on Instagram about it but I'll check out Canadian Woodworks.

I'll also think about your advice to sand, apply, sand, and reapply.

What do you buff out the final coat with?

RE: Rubio Monocoat - Peter Tremblay - 12-06-2017

(12-06-2017, 06:29 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Good to see you Peter. Hope to see you more often.

Thanks, Neil!

RE: Rubio Monocoat - mbuker - 12-07-2017

We used this product on a new oak floor approximately 3 years ago. The homeowner actually found it and thought she wanted to use it. I did some research on it and ordered the product. We sanded the floors to a 150 grit and applied one coat. It does have a mat finish after drying and does resemble Danish Oil finish. This home is occupied by the lady only and has no kids. I was back in the home about 9 months after we applied it and it had no problems and she was still very happy with it. I assume since I haven't heard anything from her since it is holding up will and she is happy. Her main reason for using this product was because of the environmentally "green" advertising.
Mike

RE: Rubio Monocoat - Wipedout - 12-07-2017

Peter

I’ve used everything from a soft cloth to a buffing pad on a rotex 

I had lunch with the Rubio rep a few weeks back. Learned a lot

It’s a good product. Love the repairability  and that it’s done in 1 coat.  Well 2 with the method I use. As opposed to the 4 or 5 with Waterlox.  And more people seem to want matte these days

RE: Rubio Monocoat - overland - 12-07-2017

Does it have any water resistance? What happens if you spill water on it?