Woodnet Forums
Daily Bench Shot - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Daily Bench Shot (/showthread.php?tid=7336585)

RE: Daily Bench Shot - mongo - 02-17-2019

(02-17-2019, 07:09 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: Great job Mongo!

Thank you
Smile

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Redman - 02-17-2019

(02-17-2019, 07:51 AM)mongo Wrote:  Thanks! A "Dark walnut"  stain and then lacquer.

Cool

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Stwood_ - 02-17-2019

[attachment=16584]
[attachment=16583]

RE: Daily Bench Shot - fishhh4 - 02-17-2019

Uhhh ... ya missed a spot.
Winkgrin

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Redman - 02-17-2019

(02-17-2019, 01:34 PM)fishhh4 Wrote: Uhhh ... ya missed a spot.
Winkgrin

Helper has it under control. Check the white pad. Helper standing there supervising.

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Stwood_ - 02-17-2019

Winkgrin  ........................

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Peter Tremblay - 02-17-2019

I'm shaping the totes of the infills.

Here you can see the layout lines.

[attachment=16605]

The first tote I carved with a rotary tool and a carbide carving burr. It went alright but shaping like this means a lot of stock removal and it is much harder trying to carve end grain so it took a while.  

[attachment=16606]

Then I decided to go back to the tried and true method of rasps.  This is much quicker, much more uniform, much easier, and no fine dust.  

[attachment=16607]

You can see that I've roughed out the back of the tote all the way to the layout lines.  Now I need to rough out the inside of the tote.

Bye the way after I'm done making some infills I will never work with lignum vitae again...maybe  This stuff is more wear resistant than steel.  A file on lignum vitae end grain removes material slower than on steel. 
Crazy

I haven't begun to sand any of the totes yet.  So after rough carving I'll probably start with some 80 grit and then go to 2000.

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Redman - 02-18-2019

Big Grin

RE: Daily Bench Shot - mongo - 02-18-2019

(02-17-2019, 11:38 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: I
Bye the way after I'm done making some infills I will never work with lignum vitae again...maybe  This stuff is more wear resistant than steel.  A file on lignum vitae end grain removes material slower than on steel. 
Crazy

I haven't begun to sand any of the totes yet.  So after rough carving I'll probably start with some 80 grit and then go to 2000.

Peter beautiful  work!

I used to work a lot with exotics.   If you haven't tried yet I suspect you'll find that it scrapes for extremely well. Also you might want to try actually buffing the stuff on a buffing wheel after sanding ,with white compound, when you are done.   It will look like Stone. Try it on a piece of scrap first to see if you like the look.

The stone look will fade a bit in time as the oils continue to leak out of the lignum.

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Belle City Woodworking - 02-18-2019

Well, we are starting to get the depth or warmness that I have been looking for.  I think one or two more coats and this piece will be ready for delivery.

[Image: 57210080515-41071416-72-FF-4-B64-9-CBD-A...-F3786.jpg]

In case you didn't catch it in an earlier post, the finish is Minwax Antique Oil Finish, 3 coats with a light sanding between coats, after the final coat of antique oil finish was allowed to fully cure for a week, it was then top coated with (so far) 4 coats of Minwax Satin Poly with a light sanding between coats.

The folks I am building this table for did not want any defects repaired which made this just a little easier.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread!

John