Woodnet Forums
Daily Bench Shot - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Daily Bench Shot (/showthread.php?tid=7336585)

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Redman - 11-26-2019

Sounds like a plan. Bench to be attached to a wall?

RE: Daily Bench Shot - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 11-26-2019

No, I'm just designing one half and then will mirror it for the other side.

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Stwood_ - 11-26-2019

Knew a guy down at Mountain Home that made his like that design, and used particle board.
Then wrapped the sides with thin oak, and a sheet of throwaway ply on top.
That thing weighed a ton

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Redman - 11-27-2019

(11-26-2019, 09:22 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: No, I'm just designing one half and then will mirror it for the other side.

I thought so actually.

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Rob Young - 12-09-2019

Whew. Been a long while since I had time to do much.  Two current projects. One is in the painting stage so no pics yet.

The second is a prototype of a chair I was interested in making. This sort of folding/interlocking deck-chair thingie has shown up a few times in Fine Woodworking in different iterations. And recently I was made aware that one can buy router templates for making the side pieces at a reasonable cost. So I sprung for the templates and some inexpensive red oak shorts (in hindsight, something a little less splintery grain would have been better, but whatever).

On the 2nd and 4th Sunday's of the month I act as shop foreman for the Kansas City Woodworkers' Guild shop. Members come in and work on projects and we try to have at least one "foreman" present that knows where all the spare parts are, can help out with two-person glue-ups and generally try to keep people attached to their limbs and digits. Also, we try to do general upkeep of the equipment like cleaning or making small repairs. The big stuff is usually handled by one or two members (new wiring before inspection, major equipment repairs, etc.).

Much of the time you would be standing or sitting around with nothing particular to do so I try to bring along something to work on. These past few months there have always been at least one stationary machine that could be worked on or tuned or whatever so no chance for me to "play". This Sunday however, nothing needed much attention so I got to work on my chair.

Pretty simple stuff. I have a little repair to do where I could have done a better job with the rough band-sawing prior to pattern routing. Tried to plan ahead and work carefully but still managed to loose a chunk to grain run-out. Easy fix later. Also probably ask Santa for a spiral pattern bit.

I present prototype chair. 
[attachment=22181]

Needs final sanding, then some pre-finishing (thinking just GF Java gel stain), re-assembled, plug holes and topcoat. Oh, and fix some router tearout damage... 

Reasonably comfortable and you fold it up by pulling the seat piece out from the back piece and flip it around to the back side where it can nest. 

Plan to make at least one more to keep around as extra chairs. Discovered I was two chairs short at a gathering after Thanksgiving!

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Stwood_ - 12-09-2019

Looks good Rob. I may take that on as a project also.

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Stwood_ - 12-15-2019

Any flat surface.
Uhoh
Uhoh 

Nope. No wood projects currently going. I have a couple for the house to do.

[attachment=22286]

RE: Daily Bench Shot - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 12-15-2019

Last minute Christmas gifts--a pair of simple jewelry boxes that I'm designing as I build them. Ambrosia maple and curly walnut. Drawer faces on both will be curly maple.

First time using my Incra LS to cut the DT's. They're not perfect, but they're good enough for this project. Nothing a little glue and sawdust won't hide. They're a little on the loose side. Not yet glued up in these pics.

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Stwood_ - 12-16-2019

Give us a better/closer shot of that maple box

RE: Daily Bench Shot - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 12-16-2019

Here's what they look like this evening. The curly maple will be the drawer fronts for both.