Woodnet Forums
Daily Bench Shot - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Daily Bench Shot (/showthread.php?tid=7336585)

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Stwood_ - 11-29-2020

Gramps overhauling the grandson

RE: Daily Bench Shot - R Clark - 12-01-2020

Got the drawer fronts made and fitted.  Getting it all aligned was a trick; I'm not usually so "planned" in order of operations, but I took my time.  Diagonal measurements between all the various opposing knob combinations work out.  If there's anything I'd change, it would be the spacing around the drawer fronts.  It's 3/32"; I'd squeeze it down to 1/16".  But once the top is on and the requested dark finish is on, that gap will be a lot less obvious.

Now to build the top and then on to finishing.

[attachment=31371]

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Stwood_ - 12-19-2020

(12-01-2020, 08:26 PM)WxMan Wrote: Got the drawer fronts made and fitted.  Getting it all aligned was a trick; I'm not usually so "planned" in order of operations, but I took my time.  Diagonal measurements between all the various opposing knob combinations work out.  If there's anything I'd change, it would be the spacing around the drawer fronts.  It's 3/32"; I'd squeeze it down to 1/16".  But once the top is on and the requested dark finish is on, that gap will be a lot less obvious.

Now to build the top and then on to finishing.

Lookin good there. How is the top coming along?

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Stwood_ - 12-19-2020

[attachment=31706]

RE: Daily Bench Shot - jstraw - 12-20-2020

A couple of real nice looking projects posted recently.

RE: Daily Bench Shot - R Clark - 12-20-2020

Dresser is done; delivered last Sunday.  I'm not crazy about red oak(due to strong grain) or the color (Minwax Espresso) but it was spec'd that way by daughter and son-in-law.   They paid for materials, so that's what it is.  They're pleased, so I'm happy...I guess.

Weighs about 175 pounds when top and drawers are "on" and "in".  Drawer glides alone are about 30 pounds of that.

Headboard, nightstands, and cheval mirror are next.  They'll look a little different in that top (horizontal) surfaces will be the same red oak in same stain, but they want the "vertical surfaces" to be painted white.  Those will be made from poplar.  Maybe I'll take a pic of headboard in progress today. 

[attachment=31724]

[attachment=31725]

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Stwood_ - 12-20-2020

Very nice..............

RE: Daily Bench Shot - R Clark - 12-22-2020

So, what to do with this?

Sizable chuck of crabapple; about 5x6, 40" long.  Very heavy.

Problems with it:  Fair amount of checking, and the pith runs through it.

On the other hand, it has been cut for a long time, 5+ years, and so it's dry.  

Maybe a Krenov style block plane?  Some tool handles?  Perhaps a cabinet scraper?    Found a plan for a scraper in an old Fine Woodworking magazine.

[attachment=31769]

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Aram - 12-22-2020

(12-22-2020, 12:44 PM)WxMan Wrote: So, what to do with this?

Sizable chuck of crabapple; about 5x6, 40" long.  Very heavy.

Problems with it:  Fair amount of checking, and the pith runs through it.

On the other hand, it has been cut for a long time, 5+ years, and so it's dry.  

Maybe a Krenov style block plane?  Some tool handles?  Perhaps a cabinet scraper?    Found a plan for a scraper in an old Fine Woodworking magazine.

Department of YMMV: I made a Krenov style smoother out of applewood once. It moved so much that I ended up throwing it away. I don't know if crabapple is as bad as apple wood, but watch out for that. The fact of it cracking would concern me a bit.

RE: Daily Bench Shot - Stwood_ - 12-22-2020

I'd go for the woodie plane, Alex.
I made a krenov from a chunk of locust, hard maple on the bottom. It's held well for the last 10? years