Woodnet Forums
Finish Question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Finish Question (/showthread.php?tid=7336672)

Finish Question - markballen - 01-22-2018

Have just built a table for our Airstream.  Walnut, maple, birch, Paduuk.  Need direction on a good finish.
Prefer hand applied, grain filling and not high gloss. Would like a satin or semi gloss finish.  Would also like it to be durable as we will be eating and playing games on it for many years to come.  

Many thanks.

RE: Finish Question - Rob Young - 01-22-2018

Epoxy, i.e. bar-top finish would be the only one I can think of as a single step to do all you list. But might be too glossy for your taste.

Otherwise a seal coat of shellac followed by a good grainfiller and then a good brushed coat or two of polyurethane such as GF Enduro-Var.

RE: Finish Question - jteneyck - 01-22-2018

Yes, I think you will need to fill the grain if you want it dead flat.  Crystallac WB filler worked really well for me.  For a finish I would consider GF's Arm-R-Seal OB wipe on poly.  Comes in satin, semi gloss, and gloss.  Behlen's Rock Hard Urethane varnish or Waterlox would be good choices, too.  

John

RE: Finish Question - Cooler - 01-22-2018

I refinished several tables for the local Starbucks shop with 3 coats of gloss plus a final coat of semi-gloss Minwax oil base.  These tables lasted 10 years in that commercial environment and looked excellent when retired.   Applied over 4 days with sponge brushes.  

Based on that experience I would recommend the same.

P.S.:  The local Starbucks just got in new tables last month.  They are starting to look like crap already.