Woodnet Forums
Found One - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Found One (/showthread.php?tid=7337507)

Pages: 1 2

Found One - jteneyck - 02-18-2018

I missed having the moulding capability I had with my old Foley Belsaw planer/moulder shortly after I sold it a year and a half ago.  A few weeks ago several project opportunities came up that convinced me to look for another machine.  This time I wanted a W&H machine.  The knives are more expensive but easier to change, and the machine is smaller and lighter and can do more, like mold elliptical frames and raised panels.  I had a few leads but nothing worked out until I found this one:

[Image: eKw_edgd2Ji3clJoJobjKXhlbuT7VCJ4G6Kfjq9D...00-h600-no]

I think it's an early '90's version.  It is a fixed speed machine with a 2 HP 110/240V Baldor motor.  It came with the elliptical jig shown on the left.  It also came with these:

[Image: cwy4IfK3AIv_xgzHYbdlcvzBzXfW31aHO3RmYncF...00-h600-no]

Thirty sets of mostly custom knives.  The guy was a pro cabinet maker and trim installer.  He died two years ago and his brother was selling off his tools and machines.  This was one of the last things to go.  The guy said he worked mostly for clients building $500 - $1000K houses.  Maybe that explains those monster crown molding knives and oversized handrail set.  I have no clue what he needed those 5 sets of knives in the top center for (the left one still has the factory protective goo on them) the ones that make flat railing caps with beveled ends?  There are several window or door muntin profiles and maybe a couple for sashes; I'm not really sure.  There must be $3K worth of knives; no clue if I'll use any of them though, maybe the door muntin profiles.   

If anyone needs some molding, let me know!  

Had to drive 3 hours to get it.  It needs a new cord/plug on it but, other than that, looks to be in great shape.  Oh, how much?  $1200.  Not a gloat, but not bad.  A new fixed speed machine is about $2500 with shipping and the elliptical jig is $300.  In any case, it will pay for itself over a few years and a lot sooner if someone needs a bunch of molding where I can use one of those big knives.  

John

RE: Found One - jlanciani - 02-18-2018

Nice buy. I’m pretty sure that those 5 sets of mystery knives do the back cuts for crown molding.

RE: Found One - jteneyck - 02-18-2018

(02-18-2018, 09:06 PM)jlanciani Wrote: Nice buy. I’m pretty sure that those 5 sets of mystery knives do the back cuts for crown molding.

Right you are John.  I figured that out after reading the manual I just downloaded.  Thanks.

John

RE: Found One - Bob10 - 02-18-2018

(02-18-2018, 10:02 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Right you are John.  I figured that out after reading the manual I just downloaded.  Thanks.

John

I was going to tell you the same thing.  I have some 6" cherry crown sitting on the floor with the back cut using that type knife

RE: Found One - jteneyck - 02-18-2018

(02-18-2018, 10:09 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I was going to tell you the same thing.  I have some 6" cherry crown sitting on the floor with the back cut using that type knife

Thanks Bob.  Yeah, it's clear I know nothing about moulding crown moulding.  But now I've got a machine and the knives to do it, so hopefully I'll get a chance someday to make some for someone, or maybe for a large cabinet.    

John

RE: Found One - Bob10 - 02-18-2018

(02-18-2018, 10:25 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Thanks Bob.  Yeah, it's clear I know nothing about moulding crown moulding.  But now I've got a machine and the knives to do it, so hopefully I'll get a chance someday to make some for someone, or maybe for a large cabinet.    

John

If you wanted to start a business just doing moulding you are good to go as custom moulding in solid wood is expensive.  I had to source the cherry and then provide it to the moulding company that cut mine.  The size, style and cherry were only available custom made here.   I could make it myself now but not at the time I had it made

RE: Found One - Tapper - 02-18-2018

Congratulations John! I know little about moulding machines but it looks like you found the one you were looking for, and with extra knives and accessories. Looking forward to seeing the product of this find!

Doug

RE: Found One - GlenS - 02-19-2018

Nice find for sure!! I never find these items like this.

And a $5800 grab for $1200 & a new power cord could quite possibly be a gloat!! Glad you found what you were looking for!!

RE: Found One - Big Dave - 02-19-2018

Yeah, John, you did alright....
Yes

RE: Found One - Cecil - 02-19-2018

Congratulations on your find.

I have missed a couple of molding machines.  I drooled when I saw them, but my pocketbook was empty when I checked.

I made some molding for my mothers new place.  I used the molding head for the table saw and router bits.  Kinda slow making that many passes to get the profile desired.

Maybe someday I will get one, but I likely will just drool the next time too.