Woodnet Forums
Is this festool sander broken? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Is this festool sander broken? (/showthread.php?tid=7337796)

Pages: 1 2

Is this festool sander broken? - blanning - 02-28-2018

The rubber pad came off my festool sander.  It's in Uruguay, but I'm in the US at the moment so I can't look at it myself.  My son sent me the picture.  I'm not sure if this is broken or if this reattaches somehow.  Does this pop back on?  Maybe needs new adhesive to hold the pad on?  Maybe a bolt vibrated loose?  What does everyone think?

Since I'm here, if I need to order another part, I should do it now and take it back with me.

brian

RE: Is this festool sander broken? - Strokes77 - 02-28-2018

(02-28-2018, 11:32 AM)blanning Wrote: The rubber pad came off my festool sander.  It's in Uruguay, but I'm in the US at the moment so I can't look at it myself.  My son sent me the picture.  I'm not sure if this is broken or if this reattaches somehow.  Does this pop back on?  Maybe needs new adhesive to hold the pad on?  Maybe a bolt vibrated loose?  What does everyone think?

Since I'm here, if I need to order another part, I should do it now and take it back with me.

brian

It is NOT broken. It needs a new backing pad.  Those are a wear item.  After long periods of storage, or lots of use, they need to be replaced.  They are very easy to swap in and out.  Look up the model and order from festool.  Around $45 and you'll be good as new.  

The one on it now CANNOT be repaired. Must be replaced.

RE: Is this festool sander broken? - blanning - 02-28-2018

(02-28-2018, 11:42 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: It is NOT broken. It needs a new backing pad.  Those are a wear item.  After long periods of storage, or lots of use, they need to be replaced.  They are very easy to swap in and out.  Look up the model and order from festool.  Around $45 and you'll be good as new.  

The one on it now CANNOT be repaired. Must be replaced.

I see the bolt there in the center and the attached allen wrench.  I'll order a new one.  Thanks.

RE: Is this festool sander broken? - Strokes77 - 02-28-2018

(02-28-2018, 11:48 AM)blanning Wrote: I see the bolt there in the center and the attached allen wrench.  I'll order a new one.  Thanks.

Just get the correct one.  One version uses the bolt, like yours, and one is tool less and snaps in. The allen key that is attached is the tool to change yours.

RE: Is this festool sander broken? - Stwood_ - 02-28-2018

Yes looks like age got it. That happened to mine. It wasn't the whole pad, just part of it came loose.

(02-28-2018, 12:39 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Yes looks like age got it. That happened to mine. It wasn't the whole pad, just part of it came loose.

Age gets me all the time.  
Laugh

RE: Is this festool sander broken? - BloomingtonMike - 02-28-2018

(02-28-2018, 01:38 PM)blanning Wrote: Age gets me all the time.  
Laugh

If only we could just order and replace you with a new one
Wink

RE: Is this festool sander broken? - MichaelS - 02-28-2018

LOL Mike!

Yes, pads fail, had the displeasure of learning that apparently both of of my festools failed in the 3 years they were in storage (while I was between shops) and when I went to use on a project, ETS 150 popped off, no worries.. grab my Rotex... zzz, fling. Grrr.

Looking into it, essentially Festool uses very good quality foam, like high end speaker surrounds, and like speakers - foam rot occurs. (had to rebuild a few sets over the years)

Found replacements on Amazon for a reasonable fee. ~ $40

Michael

(02-28-2018, 03:28 PM)MichaelS Wrote: LOL Mike!

Yes, pads fail, had the displeasure of learning that apparently both of  of my festools failed in the 3 years they were in storage (while I was between shops) and when I went to use on a project, ETS 150 popped off, no worries.. grab my Rotex... zzz, fling. Grrr.

Looking into it, essentially Festool uses very good quality foam, like high end speaker surrounds, and like speakers - foam rot occurs. (had to rebuild a few sets over the years)

Found replacements on Amazon for a reasonable fee. ~ $40

Michael

I found them.  I also picked up a strip of the clear track saw edge.

I'm wondering what other cool new tools or accessories I should be buying while I'm here.

RE: Is this festool sander broken? - Stwood_ - 02-28-2018

(02-28-2018, 03:45 PM)blanning Wrote: I'm wondering what other cool new tools or accessories I should be buying while I'm here.

Oh..........one of everything.......
Big Grin