Woodnet Forums
14” Bandsaw - Need Help Picking One - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: 14” Bandsaw - Need Help Picking One (/showthread.php?tid=7337891)

Pages: 1 2

14” Bandsaw - Need Help Picking One - jcredding - 03-03-2018

I’ve regretted letting my 14” bandsaw go long enough after getting the big one years ago, so looking for a good 14”. The big one will continue to handle all resawing and such. It just doesn’t do the finer work a 14” can do due to blade width limitations. Time to find the next saw to add to the shop.

If the money was a consideration but not a driving force, what would you choose and why?

Thanks,
John

RE: 14” Bandsaw - Need Help Picking One - Tapper - 03-03-2018

I have a classic old Walker Turner 16 incher, in addition to my larger bandsaw. If you don't want to go that route my recommendation is to look at the Grizzly line. Their 14" saws have consistently gotten high marks from owners here and are nearly unbeatable from a price/performance perspective.

Doug

RE: 14” Bandsaw - Need Help Picking One - measure once cut remeasure - 03-03-2018

Rikon has been good to me for a few years.

Remove all blade guides from a bandsaw and replace with a Carter Blade stabilizer. Then put a 1/4" blade on it, and you have a very versatile saw for fine work

RE: 14” Bandsaw - Need Help Picking One - jteneyck - 03-04-2018

(03-03-2018, 10:07 PM)jcredding Wrote: If the money was a consideration but not a driving force, what would you choose and why?  

Thanks,
John

I would find a used Delta 14", when Delta was still Delta, with a 3/4 or 1 HP motor.  Better still, if you can find a wood/metal version, which I have, you will have a saw with amazing versatility.  The wood only ones are often available for well under $500.  And replacement parts are readily available for the old Deltas.  

John

RE: 14” Bandsaw - Need Help Picking One - iclark - 03-05-2018

I have been very happy with my 14" Rikon. Part of the reason that I picked it was its ability to handle thicker half-logs for prepping bowl blanks.

Since you already have the larger BS, you probably do not need the throat capacity of the Rikon. The Delta 14" would have a smaller footprint.

RE: 14” Bandsaw - Need Help Picking One - chips ahoy - 03-05-2018

I have been using a General International for the past 12 years,have never had a problem with it.

Mel

RE: 14” Bandsaw - Need Help Picking One - Arlin Eastman - 03-05-2018

John

I think both of these would be great for you.  I have the bigger one with the 5hp motor but with the same frame.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2-HP/G0513

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2-HP-Bandsaw-Anniversary-Edition/G0513ANV

RE: 14” Bandsaw - Need Help Picking One - ez-duzit - 03-05-2018

Recently picked up a like new Delta 14" with spacer kit and Kreg fence for $450.

[Image: delta-bandsaw-1.jpg]

RE: 14” Bandsaw - Need Help Picking One - 2beast - 03-05-2018

Old Delta
They are excellent saws, plentiful and reasonable.

I see them regularly in the $200-300 range.
Have bought several cheaper than that.

RE: 14” Bandsaw - Need Help Picking One - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 03-07-2018

I'm with the others on buying an older Delta. Mine is newer, from 1999, but I got it at a killer price. As 2beast says, depending on your location, you can get them really cheap.

Are you a member at www.owwm.org ? If not, go join up. We have a busy sale section and these show up regularly.