Woodnet Forums
York Pattern makers vice ? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: York Pattern makers vice ? (/showthread.php?tid=7338278)

York Pattern makers vice ? - Rick F - 03-20-2018

Looking at one of these for my bench,  any comments ?   I know very little about them.

RE: York Pattern makers vice ? - Scoony - 03-20-2018

Have one on my bench. Cant post pics at the moment but can post later tonight when I get home. Love it. Don't often rotate it around, but when I need to clamp something strange, it will do the job.

One thing I did was to get wide sheets of thin cork board material and a roll of wide magnetic tape, and made magnetic jaw liners. They are pretty chewed up now so I need to come up with a better replacement. Really don't want to glue anything directly to the jaws.

RE: York Pattern makers vice ? - Rick F - 03-20-2018

I was wrong on the name .. Its a G.M. Yost .. Patented 1900 .. I bought it .. its in medium shape, never going to be perfect but seems solid and will be a great user.

RE: York Pattern makers vice ? - DCM - 03-21-2018

I have a Yost in the restoration waiting line... so have no experience using it. It's in very good condition & looking forward to checking it out. I'm no expert, but I understand that Yost may have worked for Emmert before doing his own thing? The Yost is VERY similar to the Emmert Turtleback - one difference I've noticed is the location of the jaw taper adjustment knob.

RE: York Pattern makers vice ? - Scoony - 03-21-2018

(03-21-2018, 11:08 AM)DCM Wrote: I have a Yost in the restoration waiting line... so have no experience using it. It's in very good condition & looking forward to checking it out. I'm no expert, but I understand that Yost may have worked for Emmert before doing his own thing? The Yost is VERY similar to the Emmert Turtleback - one difference I've noticed is the location of the jaw taper adjustment knob.

Yes, Yost did work for Emmert before leaving and starting his own company.

RE: York Pattern makers vice ? - Rick F - 03-24-2018

So your saying that knob is for adjusting the taper ?

RE: York Pattern makers vice ? - Scoony - 03-24-2018

Does yours look like this?

[attachment=9447]

This was taken while the bench was being built  back in 2013

The knob allows you to adjust the jaws in order to clamp items that are not square