Woodnet Forums
variable speed control needed. - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: variable speed control needed. (/showthread.php?tid=7338357)

variable speed control needed. - Kizar_Sozay - 03-23-2018

I've got a Delta saw that uses the coping saw blades and uses a reciprocal motion.  I haven't used it in years because its a single speed and that is ludicrous speed.  Also have a Rockler throat plate that I can fasten a jigsaw to in an upside down position and use on the Rockler Router table.  Either tool set up I'd like to be able to vary the speed.  I see some that have a dial control but it would be sweet to have one with a foot control so I don't have to let go of the workpiece if I want to slow the feed rate for a difficult cut.

Any ideas?  I'd like to buy it from Amazon as I have a couple hundred dollars store credit from a return.  Another alternative might be looking at second hand stores for a sewing machine or perhaps this one on Amazon might work.  Anyone have ideas or solutions?

Sewing machine speed control

RE: variable speed control needed. - BloomingtonMike - 03-23-2018

LMGTFY

Control, Variable Speed, Foot Pedal, Plastic, SR, L, 3 Prong - C-FCT-1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WGVP6Q4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_kJxTAbWETY18Z

RE: variable speed control needed. - packerguy® - 03-23-2018

(03-23-2018, 04:07 PM)Kizar_Sozay Wrote: I've got a Delta saw that uses the coping saw blades and uses a reciprocal motion.  I haven't used it in years because its a single speed and that is ludicrous speed.  Also have a Rockler throat plate that I can fasten a jigsaw to in an upside down position and use on the Rockler Router table.  Either tool set up I'd like to be able to vary the speed.  I see some that have a dial control but it would be sweet to have one with a foot control so I don't have to let go of the workpiece if I want to slow the feed rate for a difficult cut.

Any ideas?  I'd like to buy it from Amazon as I have a couple hundred dollars store credit from a return.  Another alternative might be looking at second hand stores for a sewing machine or perhaps this one on Amazon might work.  Anyone have ideas or solutions?

Sewing machine speed control

What mike posted looks like what your wanted. 

If you want a consistent motor speed, maybe one of these would work. I use one with my dremel....its awesome. 

Dremel control

RE: variable speed control needed. - Kizar_Sozay - 03-23-2018

(03-23-2018, 06:09 PM)packerguy® Wrote: What mike posted looks like what your wanted. 

If you want a consistent motor speed, maybe one of these would work. I use one with my dremel....its awesome. 

Dremel control

Looks like the two listed are more for a Dremel.  Tomorrow, I'll compare the motor specs on the dremel, the scroll saw and the jig saw.  Reading reviews on the one I linked it looks like its got a preset for slow stitching and then a pedal to the metal speed.  Maybe I've found a use for that old treadmill sitting on the patio.  I had envisioned a conversion to drum sander but this might be just my speed.

RE: variable speed control needed. - MarkSingleton - 03-23-2018

Treadmill motors are used all the time for 
variable speed conversions.  I have a mid
nineties Delta drill press that sports a 
General Electric DC motor run off a converter
unit that came with it. Got both at "Surplus
Center" years ago. Best thing I ever did to the
drill press. I once drilled a three quarter inch 
hole through half inch hardened steel plate.
SLOOOWLY!!

Big Grin

RE: variable speed control needed. - BloomingtonMike - 03-23-2018

Foredom is no dremel lol.

RE: variable speed control needed. - Kizar_Sozay - 03-24-2018

(03-23-2018, 09:27 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Foredom is no dremel lol.

No there aren't but what they are small rotary tools with mostly 1/8 HP DC motors. The scroll saw is AC and 1/3 hp.

RE: variable speed control needed. - Arlin Eastman - 03-24-2018

Can you use the speed control box like what Routers use or other motors?

Like this

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/speed_control.html

Heavy Duty Speed Control - 20 Amp

#9410........................................$39.95 [Image: orderbut.gif]

RE: variable speed control needed. - Kizar_Sozay - 03-24-2018

(03-24-2018, 01:53 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Can you use the speed control box like what Routers use or other motors?

Like this

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/speed_control.html

Heavy Duty Speed Control - 20 Amp

#9410........................................$39.95 [Image: orderbut.gif]

I'm looking for foot-operated. so I can slow down for the curves on scroll cuts

RE: variable speed control needed. - Arlin Eastman - 03-25-2018

(03-24-2018, 09:47 PM)Kizar_Sozay Wrote: I'm looking for foot-operated. so I can slow down for the curves on scroll cuts

If you scroll down I think they have it on the same page of the link I gave you.

Or maybe this one?

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/proxxon-footswitch-fs-model-38-700