Woodnet Forums
Did I sell too cheap? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Did I sell too cheap? (/showthread.php?tid=7338475)

Pages: 1 2

Did I sell too cheap? - HomerLee - 03-27-2018

I have a difficult time knowing what a plane might sell for. I just guessed what I might get for this old #7 and was surprised. I had over 20 "watchers" and someone snatched it on "buy it now". Guess it had some collector value; I've never sold one I didn't clean up before:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-Bailey-No-7-Jointer-Plane-Antique-Collectible/123032397968?hash=item1ca54d6890:g:3akAAOSwwq1asUhm

RE: Did I sell too cheap? - hbmcc - 03-27-2018

I bought an #8 a few years ago, I think, in the original box. Decent shape. I think it was 170, shipped from Oregon. They don't get much use--walk 8 feet a couple times--but the irons sure are boogered up. Any that are usable off the Bay are pretty rare. 

Until you get one you don't know how kinda useless they are. Mine doubles as a paper weight.

RE: Did I sell too cheap? - Z28Doug - 03-28-2018

If you had put a higher price price on it you may still own it six months from now.. no telling.

RE: Did I sell too cheap? - Admiral - 03-28-2018

(03-27-2018, 10:48 PM)HomerLee Wrote: I have a difficult time knowing what a plane might sell for. I just guessed what I might get for this old #7 and was surprised. I had over 20 "watchers" and someone snatched it on "buy it now". Guess it had some collector value; I've never sold one I didn't clean up before:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-Bailey-No-7-Jointer-Plane-Antique-Collectible/123032397968?hash=item1ca54d6890:g:3akAAOSwwq1asUhm

I think that is a very good price; not particularly collectible.  Most I've ever sold a #7 for is $125, and it was in truly exceptional condition.

RE: Did I sell too cheap? - Strokes77 - 03-28-2018

(03-28-2018, 06:34 AM)Admiral Wrote: I think that is a very good price; not particularly collectible.  Most I've ever sold a #7 for is $125, and it was in truly exceptional condition.

Selling something fast doesn't always mean under priced... Sometimes it is just the fact that someone wanted what you were selling.

RE: Did I sell too cheap? - med-one - 03-28-2018

I think you got a fantastic price for your plane. Many I see go for less than that.

RE: Did I sell too cheap? - AHill - 03-28-2018

I also don't think it was particularly collectible, but you did get a good price for your plane. Some people just want to buy to avoid the risk of losing in an auction. You likely got one of those folks buying your plane.

RE: Did I sell too cheap? - kenl - 03-28-2018

(03-27-2018, 10:48 PM)HomerLee Wrote: I have a difficult time knowing what a plane might sell for. I just guessed what I might get for this old #7 and was surprised. I had over 20 "watchers" and someone snatched it on "buy it now". Guess it had some collector value; I've never sold one I didn't clean up before:

The amount of information you provided probably played a big part in the quick sale and the price you received. Buyers often appreciate getting some history or other information that helps them justify the purchase and/or makes them a more knowledgeable purchaser. I always try to provide as much info as I can for two reasons-see above and I really like the discovery process.

RE: Did I sell too cheap? - JimReed@Tallahassee - 03-28-2018

Nice plane and I think it sold at an excellent price. Bench plane prices are strong on the bay right now.

RE: Did I sell too cheap? - HomerLee - 03-28-2018

I just took a wild stab at a buy it now price. I had told someone locally he could have it for $70, gave him two weeks and he never got back to me. Thought about putting it in S & S for $90 shipped but didn't sell the other two planes I listed here so I thought I would try ebay. 

Perhaps leaving the plane pretty much as found helped but I suspect someone noticed the large number of watchers which ebay shows nowadays and didn't want to miss out.