Woodnet Forums
Wtb dowel plate - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Wtb dowel plate (/showthread.php?tid=7338921)

Wtb dowel plate - Troywoodyard - 04-15-2018

Does anybody have a dowel plate laying around? I just can't bring myself to pay new prices for a lie nielsen... I may have to settle for drilling my own holes in steel, but if someone can make me a deal and save me an hour or two...

RE: Wtb dowel plate - Woodworm! - 04-15-2018

(04-15-2018, 08:41 AM)Troywoodyard Wrote: Does anybody have a dowel plate laying around?  I just can't bring myself to pay new prices for a lie nielsen... I may have to settle for drilling my own holes in steel, but if someone can make me a deal and save me an hour or two...

Lee Valley makes these, a little less expensive than LN

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=70555&cat=1,42524

RE: Wtb dowel plate - Arlin Eastman - 04-15-2018

(04-15-2018, 08:41 AM)Troywoodyard Wrote: Does anybody have a dowel plate laying around?  I just can't bring myself to pay new prices for a lie nielsen... I may have to settle for drilling my own holes in steel, but if someone can make me a deal and save me an hour or two...

Troy

They are not hard to make.  Just get some 1/4" plate and drill the required holes.  I have done that for a few other people before.  Make sure you get cobalt bits to drill the holes and lightly countersink the back of it.

RE: Wtb dowel plate - BloomingtonMike - 04-15-2018

What sizes holes you looking for in 1/4"? I can prob help out.

Mikie

RE: Wtb dowel plate - Troywoodyard - 04-15-2018

I'm not exactly sure... I have tried paul sellers washer trick, and I think it was successful but kind of a pain. I'm working on a headboard and footboard and am torn between 1/4" and 3/8" pegs. If I end up making my own, is it worth it to reduce sizes in 1/32" or 1/16" so you can make the peg progressively smaller? I have made 2 inlay dots before But have never drawbored.

What did you have in mind mikie?

RE: Wtb dowel plate - BloomingtonMike - 04-15-2018

Nevermind is what I am thinking.

Ill let you buy from an expert.

RE: Wtb dowel plate - Troywoodyard - 04-15-2018

No worries.... thx for entertaining the thought.