Woodnet Forums
Rough Cut lawsuit - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Rough Cut lawsuit (/showthread.php?tid=7339234)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - AHill - 08-13-2018

I went to WGBH's website today and there is zero evidence of Rough Cut.  It's not listed on their show list.  The only hit you get when searching their website is a 2 minute trailer for the show.  Previous shows are linked from the Fine Woodworking website.

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - handi - 08-13-2018

(08-13-2018, 07:34 AM)AHill Wrote: I went to WGBH's website today and there is zero evidence of Rough Cut.  It's not listed on their show list.  The only hit you get when searching their website is a 2 minute trailer for the show.  Previous shows are linked from the Fine Woodworking website.
PBS's distribution model has not kept up with the times. They are pretty much the only company producing studio quality woodworking content, but finding and viewing it is a PITA if even possible. Unless you are a PBS member, watching any of their shows is hit or miss or simply not possible. More and more folks are cutting the cable and PBS is simply not keeping up with the trends.

This was a BIG factor in putting my show up on Amazon. I wanted to be able to flop onto my couch on a Saturday afternoon and just watch some woodworking TV without having to jump through hoops. Rough Cut does show up when one searches "woodworking" on Amazon, but then the seasons listed are "unavailable". I am sure this is because the trademarks are in limbo. Amazon is VERY cautious of Copyright and Trademark protection. In fact, Episode 8 of my show had to be edited and re-submitted because at the very end I was teasing Season 2, and said "So watch for Season 2 streaming on Amazon Prime." 

Amazon rejected the episode telling me that I could not imply that my show was sponsored or endorsed by Amazon. They are that strict. Fortunately, is was pretty easy to just edit the final clip, but it shows how sensitive they are. My guess is that until the Rough Cut Trademark issue is settled, you will not see Rough Cut on Amazon.

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - smithgl12 - 08-13-2018

(08-13-2018, 07:34 AM)AHill Wrote: I went to WGBH's website today and there is zero evidence of Rough Cut.  It's not listed on their show list.  The only hit you get when searching their website is a 2 minute trailer for the show.  Previous shows are linked from the Fine Woodworking website.

One of the defendants is LAURIE DONNELLY. For a little levity, google image search that name. Hahaha...just not what I thought the executive producer of Rough Cut would look like, though, I suspect there is more than one LAURIE DONNELLY.
Laugh

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - Stwood_ - 08-13-2018

(08-13-2018, 03:28 PM)smithgl12 Wrote: One of the defendants is LAURIE DONNELLY. For a little levity, google image search that name. Hahaha...just not what I thought the executive producer of Rough Cut would look like, though, I suspect there is more than one LAURIE DONNELLY.
Laugh

Ayup. More-n-likely *not* the one in the bikinis.
Laugh
Jack will be all over that name search.....

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - Admiral - 08-13-2018

(08-13-2018, 03:52 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Ayup. More-n-likely *not* the one in the bikinis.
Laugh
Jack will be all over that name search.....

http://forum-network.org/speakers/donnelly-laurie/

She's been around the biz for some time; it ain't her first rodeo so she either minded her Ps and Qs and did things right, or she screwed up with the second registration of simply Rough Cut.

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - Stwood_ - 08-13-2018

(08-13-2018, 04:21 PM)Admiral Wrote: http://forum-network.org/speakers/donnelly-laurie/

She's been around the biz for some time; it ain't her first rodeo so she either minded her Ps and Qs and did things right, or she screwed up with the second registration of simply Rough Cut.

Yea, she was my pick of being a director

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - Phil Thien - 08-13-2018

(08-13-2018, 04:21 PM)Admiral Wrote: http://forum-network.org/speakers/donnelly-laurie/

The way she was named in the lawsuit and the response was sort of interesting.

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - Tony Z - 08-13-2018

Seeing the suit was moved to mediation back in June, I would be curious what the current status might be! Reading Tommy Mac's lawsuit, his attorney really used extremely complimentary descriptions of his (Tommy Mac's) skills.

For Tommy Mac's sake, I hope he doesn't let his ego drive the cost of legal proceedings.

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - Admiral - 08-13-2018

(08-13-2018, 04:52 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Seeing the suit was moved to mediation back in June, I would be curious what the current status might be!  Reading Tommy Mac's lawsuit, his attorney really used extremely complimentary descriptions of his (Tommy Mac's) skills.  

For Tommy Mac's sake, I hope he doesn't let his ego drive the cost of legal proceedings.

All federal cases go to mediation before a Magistrate or his designee; Tommy said he was going to court for a hearing on what I presume would be the injunctive relief he is seeking.  If I remember, I'll check PACER, which is the federal court electronic filing system, where the Judge would file his Order after the hearing; but sometimes it takes then a while before they decide.

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - Gary™ - 01-03-2019

Anything new on this; my Google Fu is failing me....