Woodnet Forums
Rough Cut lawsuit - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Rough Cut lawsuit (/showthread.php?tid=7339234)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - Admiral - 04-28-2018

Trademark and copyright are funny things; a subset of intellectual property. Clearly Tommy had the copyright to "Rough Cut" and if he only gave PBS the rights to the longer phrase, he's got a point, especially given his prior youtube publications. Thing is, if you don't protect your copyright and trademark, you can lose it, so there's more going on here below the surface. I deal a lot with copyright and trademark at work, not an expert, but I do know its a tricky area. From what I can see, Tommy has a point here. I'll predict PBS will settle.

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - Arlin Eastman - 04-28-2018

(04-28-2018, 09:41 AM)Scott W Wrote: Norm and Roy....the best 1-2 punch.

^^^^^^^

What Scott said.  I wish Norm would come back and I had all of Roys DVDs.

Even when I was not a woodworker and stationed in Montana I watched Norm every Saturday and loved and wished I could make my wife nice furniture and could not afford the tools.  Now I have the tools but working on the knowledge and Norm is no longer doing the shows.

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - Arlin Eastman - 04-28-2018

(04-28-2018, 12:37 PM)sniper Wrote: I'm remembering that also.

+1 on missing Norm.  Tommy Mac was to hyper for my tastes.  I wondered if he forgot to take his ADHD meds.

I am just thinking that Tommy Mac tried to put a lot of stuff in a short time and that was why he acted like that.

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - Tony Z - 04-29-2018

I'd go with "Fine Cutting by Fine Woodworking", and leave it at that. Give the new show to being in some of the mag's contributors to assist the host. I never thought much of Tommy Mac-talked way too fast, subtlety hawked too many products, though some of his guests were great.

I go back to the very first "This Old House", with Norm & Bob Vila-great shows, and had many sparks of ideas from them, then Norm's show and later, from Roy.

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - handi - 04-29-2018

(04-28-2018, 09:39 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I am just thinking that Tommy Mac tried to put a lot of stuff in a short time and that was why he acted like that.
This is why I have used two, 1/2 hour episodes for my show. An hour gives time for more detailed instruction. Of course, even so, I have had to leave out stuff I wanted to cover.

I’ve met Tommy several times and even attended a dinner with a group of about 12 including he and his wife. He is a nice guy, but sort of hyper active even off camera. It is just who he is.

Personally, I would be very surprised if WGBH took Tommy on without properly locking up all the trademarks. They and their lawyers have a LOT more experience at these things than Tommy does and did when they signed him up.

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - Phil Thien - 04-29-2018

(04-28-2018, 11:02 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: In other words, admitting guilt?

Even if the name change were done without prejudice, in the court of public opinions, Tommy would be the winner. I say let the court proceeding run its course.

Simon

Not at all, just acknowledging that the name isn’t worth a fight.

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - Stwood_ - 04-29-2018

(04-28-2018, 01:06 PM)sweensdv2 Wrote: As I move along the road of life things like this lawsuit and a whole lot of other life happenings find themselves very quickly filed into the, I could care less basket.

+1

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - Handplanesandmore - 04-29-2018

(04-29-2018, 09:14 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Not at all, just acknowledging that the name isn’t worth a fight.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-michael-jordan-wins-lawsuit-20150821-story.html

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - Phil Thien - 04-29-2018

(04-29-2018, 09:37 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-michael-jordan-wins-lawsuit-20150821-story.html

What is your point?

RE: Rough Cut lawsuit - Handplanesandmore - 04-30-2018

Point is a name is worth fighting for.

Simon