Woodnet Forums
Caution...Malware - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Caution...Malware (/showthread.php?tid=7339318)

Caution...Malware - Bill Holt - 05-02-2018

I was admiring Russell Hudson's work in his kitchen cabinet post.  The stained cabinets in the last picture resemble our cabinets so I clicked on the image, immediately the picture became a download and I was instructed to call............  I turned off my computer before the download completed and so far no damage.

A few years ago a similar thing happened but I did not turn off the computer.  Ended up loosing almost every file because I was not willing to pay their fee for un-encrypting my files.

I'm sure Russell had nothing to do with the malware but it is attached to his photo...FYI

RE: Caution...Malware - Stwood_ - 05-02-2018

Not good.........

RE: Caution...Malware - Redman - 05-02-2018

Well I looked and although I got a hand when mousing over the pictures I could see no reason to click them and Russell doesn't mention clicking on them in his post. Never the less if that happened that isn't too good.

RE: Caution...Malware - FS7 - 05-03-2018

The hosting website probably inadvertently had malware in their ads. It's far too common - they sell ad space and have automated testing to prevent the use of their site as a malware vector, but it doesn't catch everything.

RE: Caution...Malware - mbholden - 05-03-2018

(05-03-2018, 09:08 AM)FS7 Wrote: The hosting website probably inadvertently had malware in their ads. It's far too common - they sell ad space and have automated testing to prevent the use of their site as a malware vector, but it doesn't catch everything.

Another reason to upload the pictures here and not use a hosting website

RE: Caution...Malware - hbmcc - 05-03-2018

You can avoid the problem of malware by using 1. antivirus software (not microsoft's!!) 2. Get a bundle with anti-malware, too. Or, use free antivirus and buy a cheap anti malware. Your ISP may even offer brand name packages for free. My Comcast may still offer it, but it's a headache to find and install; and is usually Norton McAfee or another that damages computers. 

It's too bad they don't blast a warning onto the screen like the heart attacks of years ago. Sometimes, the warnings are too innocuous.

RE: Caution...Malware - Willyou - 05-03-2018

Based on experience, I would advise anyone to install a version of Linux for surfing the web and participating in forums. I have been using Linux for 15 years and have never been infected with a virus or malware. And, I don't use any anti-malware/anti-virus software. I don't claim that Linux is immune, but it is apparent that it is less susceptible. If you must use windows for your day to day work, then set up a dual boot system and use Linux for your surfing. Just my two cents.

RE: Caution...Malware - FBranco - 05-04-2018

It's fixed now.

...this message was too short...

RE: Caution...Malware - Tony Z - 05-06-2018

Speaking of malware, etc., be wary of the new Yahoo/AOL incarnation. Weird messages and computer locking up, had to remove that browser this morning and doubt if I will ever return.