Woodnet Forums
selling all machines question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: selling all machines question (/showthread.php?tid=7339578)

Pages: 1 2 3

selling all machines question - Pirate - 05-16-2018

Thinking of the future.
How easy would it be to sell a whole shop of mostly older woodworking machines, in 1 sale?
I would assume the price would have to be a lot less, than if tools were sold individually.
Just wondering how much the individual tool prices would have to be cut to sell in 1 lot.
Here is a list of examples, and individual expected selling prices.

What would you think a buyer of all would pay?

All tools are running perfect.
1946 1 HP Unisaw with Jet Exacta fence                                  $600
1951 Delta 14" bs with 1HP motor, riser, and Jet Fence             $350
1978 Rockwell Invicte 13" stationary planer                              $350
1985? Dewalt 7790 12" ras                                                     $250
1951 Craftsman 100, floor dp                                                  $125
PM 50 6" gold jointer with solid carbide knives                          $250
Craftsman 16 gal shop vac                                                       $20
Craftsman 2 hp belt drive compressor                                      $125
                                                                                       ______
                                                                                Total  $2070

RE: selling all machines question - Bill Holt - 05-16-2018

I have noticed full shops for sale on Craig’s List asking regular used tool prices but never have I seen any evidence of a sale. It’s difficult to imagine someone deciding to setup a new woodworking shop at the same time a whole shop goes on the market. I am not saying it cannot happen. Most likely the prices are going to have to be below 25% of street value.

Good luck to you or whoever is wanting to sell.

RE: selling all machines question - Alan S - 05-16-2018

Think what you would want for each machine if sold individually.  Then think about the amount of work and time it would take to sell them, and the risk that some might not sell for that, and what all that's worth.  The the second amount is what you would pay someone to sell it for you, or the amount you might discount the total of individual prices if someone bought the entire lot.

I suspect most buyers of the lot would be intending to resell at a profit, rather than to set up their own new shop.

RE: selling all machines question - Admiral - 05-16-2018

(05-16-2018, 10:30 AM)Alan S Wrote: I suspect most buyers of the lot would be intending to resell at a profit, rather than to set up their own new shop.

^^^^^This.  One lot sales diminishes the value of the individual pieces, and you'll only get dealers who will bid.  Sold individually, a guy will pay more for the particular machine he is interested in, so I'd figure 60% of your individual prices if purchased as a lot.

RE: selling all machines question - jlanciani - 05-16-2018

I've bought a few whole shops over the past few years. My best and final offer is half of what I think the individual large pieces are worth as-is in my market, minus an additional premium if time is of the essence in removing them from the premises. For your list, I'd be at about $800-$1000 unless there is a ton of other stuff in the bundle.  Craftsman stuff isn't worth much of anything, and the radial arm saw is worth scrap weight unfortunately. 

Hand tools, hand held power tools, and accessories all go to the flea market, where they sell for about 20 cents on the dollar on a good day.

If I'm taking the risk and doing all the work, I'm going to get paid fairly.

ETA - Every one of these that I've dealt with started out way over valued. Guys don't want to accept how little they are going to get if they don't want to put the work in. It usually takes me 2 - 3 months to close the deal.

RE: selling all machines question - Robert Adams - 05-16-2018

(05-16-2018, 10:53 AM)jlanciani Wrote: I've bought a few whole shops over the past few years. My best and final offer is half of what I think the individual large pieces are worth as-is in my market, minus an additional premium if time is of the essence in removing them from the premises. For your list, I'd be at about $800-$1000 unless there is a ton of other stuff in the bundle.  Craftsman stuff isn't worth much of anything, and the radial arm saw is worth scrap weight unfortunately. 

Hand tools, hand held power tools, and accessories all go to the flea market, where they sell for about 20 cents on the dollar on a good day.

If I'm taking the risk and doing all the work, I'm going to get paid fairly.

ETA - Every one of these that I've dealt with started out way over valued. Guys don't want to accept how little they are going to get if they don't want to put the work in. It usually takes me 2 - 3 months to close the deal.

Exactly what he said.

RE: selling all machines question - Strokes77 - 05-16-2018

(05-16-2018, 09:24 AM)Pirate Wrote: How easy would it be to sell a whole shop of mostly older woodworking machines, in 1 sale?

It is incredibly easy to sell a whole shop of tools in 1 sale; you just have to understand something... The value of it WILL NOT make sense unless you factor in time.  

It takes more time than you would think to take pictures, post it to the various outlets, answer questions, meet people (wait on no-shows, or late), talk prices, deal with flakes, make the sale, and eventually load the item and have it leave your shop.  

And that was just one item... For alot of people, Time/Hassle is Money.

RE: selling all machines question - Bob10 - 05-16-2018

(05-16-2018, 09:24 AM)Pirate Wrote: Thinking of the future.
How easy would it be to sell a whole shop of mostly older woodworking machines, in 1 sale?
I would assume the price would have to be a lot less, than if tools were sold individually.
Just wondering how much the individual tool prices would have to be cut to sell in 1 lot.
Here is a list of examples, and individual expected selling prices.

What would you think a buyer of all would pay?

All tools are running perfect.
1946 1 HP Unisaw with Jet Exacta fence                                  $600
1951 Delta 14" bs with 1HP motor, riser, and Jet Fence             $350
1978 Rockwell Invicte 13" stationary planer                              $350
1985? Dewalt 7790 12" ras                                                     $250
1951 Craftsman 100, floor dp                                                  $125
PM 50 6" gold jointer with solid carbide knives                          $250
Craftsman 16 gal shop vac                                                       $20
Craftsman 2 hp belt drive compressor                                      $125
                                                                                       ______
                                                                                Total  $2070

I might pay a bit less than half of what you have there.  Reason being much of it holds no value in resale and I would have to load up and deal with it.  I mean no offense but half that list would fit into that category for my purposes

RE: selling all machines question - cvillewood - 05-16-2018

(05-16-2018, 09:24 AM)Pirate Wrote: 1946 1 HP Unisaw with Jet Exacta fence                                  $250
1951 Delta 14" bs with 1HP motor, riser, and Jet Fence             $150
1978 Rockwell Invicte 13" stationary planer                              $200
1985? Dewalt 7790 12" ras                                                     $20 (I’ve moved a few RAS’s and the time and effort makes it almost worthless given the sale price is at most $100. $20 is generous of you’re selling to a flipper).
1951 Craftsman 100, floor dp                                                  $50
PM 50 6" gold jointer with solid carbide knives                          $100
Craftsman 16 gal shop vac                                                       $free
Craftsman 2 hp belt drive compressor                                      $50
                                                                                       ______
                                                                                Total  $820

That would be my top dollar if i was to buy and plan to flip and make a few (very few after figuring in my time) bucks. You’re prices are close to if not over full price if sold piecemeal, and don’t take into account time as sated above.

RE: selling all machines question - fixtureman - 05-16-2018

I would try to put more stuff together and auction off each piece