Woodnet Forums
Forgive me for I have sinned - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Forgive me for I have sinned (/showthread.php?tid=7339994)

Pages: 1 2

Forgive me for I have sinned - SceneryMaker - 06-04-2018

She wanted columns in the entryway and I've been married long enough to understand how it works. The problem is this: when I turned the tops and bases, I made the tall parts out of

MDF !!! The photo is one of the tops. The bases are twice as tall.

They will get painted so I didn't want to waste my good maple, but I'm still ashamed of myself.

RE: Forgive me for I have sinned - badwhiskey - 06-05-2018

It's okay my son.  Give me 4 "Hail Norms" and one act of contrition.

RE: Forgive me for I have sinned - Arlin Eastman - 06-05-2018

If it is to be painted I can see not wasting regular wood for it..  Nice work to.

RE: Forgive me for I have sinned - crokett™ - 06-07-2018

I see nothing wrong with using MDF, other than if it gets wet it falls apart. I assume these are interior columns. I have a shop cabinet that I've had nearly 20 years. it was one of the first things I made when I moved into my house in 2000. It's MDF.

RE: Forgive me for I have sinned - Woodworm! - 06-07-2018

(06-04-2018, 07:37 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: She wanted columns in the entryway and I've been married long enough to understand how it works.  The problem is this:  when I turned the tops and bases, I made the tall parts out of

MDF !!!  The photo is one of the tops.  The bases are twice as tall.

They will get painted so I didn't want to waste my good maple, but I'm still ashamed of myself.

I prefer wood myself.

RE: Forgive me for I have sinned - Arlin Eastman - 06-07-2018

Upon looking again

is this just for looks or support?  If support I would not have it segmented but solid layers since they may blow out.

RE: Forgive me for I have sinned - EightFingers - 06-07-2018

30 years from now when someone strips it so they can get “natural” wood, they’re gonna hate you.

RE: Forgive me for I have sinned - SceneryMaker - 06-07-2018

(06-07-2018, 11:32 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Upon looking again

is this just for looks or support?  If support I would not have it segmented but solid layers since they may blow out.

They are 100% cosmetic. The columns are fiberglass, the trim is segmented pine, and the base and top are segmented MDF. I ran out of flat wood so I found some scrap. I segmented parts to make them easier to turn.

If somebody wants to strip the trim in the house, they're in for a big surprise. This must have been a spec house because they took some shortcuts with doors and trim but not with structure.

RE: Forgive me for I have sinned - goaliedad - 06-07-2018

Since the columns are fiberglass you get a pass on the fake wood.

RE: Forgive me for I have sinned - MidwestMan - 06-07-2018

I suppose your kidding... but at any rate, it looks fine, and is fine. I did the same thing on a job also.