Woodnet Forums
Overhead trolley for Festool vac hose - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Overhead trolley for Festool vac hose (/showthread.php?tid=7340226)

Pages: 1 2

Overhead trolley for Festool vac hose - Cooler - 06-14-2018

I get tired of moving the hose for my Festool saw when making a cut.  

I am thinking of adding an overhead trolley for the hose (and maybe the power cord).

I can get a rail and two trolleys intended for barn doors for about $70.00.  (See below)

Is there any reason that this will not work?  I would use velcro and bungee cords to attach the hose to the trolley.  

Any suggestions would be welcome.
[Image: exterior-sliding-barn-door-plans-nationa...ctions.jpg]

RE: Overhead trolley for Festool vac hose - Dodis - 06-14-2018

Should work great.

I had thought about adding tracks to each ceiling joist, then once across those on trolleys, to build a light duty gantry crane for moving <200 lb projects around the shop. I have already tested my framing, and the tracks are rated at 440 lb loads... But like many of my projects, never get past an idea ($).

RE: Overhead trolley for Festool vac hose - Arlin Eastman - 06-14-2018

I love the idea.

To me I would make it less bulky by using Router bearings and cut wood and glue them together to make the rail/track and then attach a piece of metal between two bearings with a chunk of wood to put all the doodads on.  I am thinking my way would cost less then $20 for bearings a piece of 1/4x2x10 metal from Menards.

RE: Overhead trolley for Festool vac hose - AgGEM - 06-15-2018

Strut channel can be found in the electrical department at any Home Depot.
Trolleys and trolley hangers for same from McMaster - Carr. And other do -dads.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#trolleys/=1daifxb
Watch what size you pick, so they match each other.

RE: Overhead trolley for Festool vac hose - WaterlooMarc - 06-15-2018

I keep mine mounting on a photography boom mounted to the wall. It telescopes but 95% of the time I keep it extended and just pivot it back to the wall if I need it out of the way. I have the 30’ sleeves hose and mounted the book such that I can use it at both my work bench and MFT. It works well for me.

RE: Overhead trolley for Festool vac hose - Cooler - 06-15-2018

I am re-thinking using less expensive options.

I am thinking of using these shower curtain hooks and perhaps 1" diameter steel conduit.

[Image: 33MP54_AS01?%24mdmain%24]

Any thoughts on this?  It would be cheaper and I think the balls will make it slide well enough.

RE: Overhead trolley for Festool vac hose - jstraw - 06-15-2018

That should work. Might want to use 2 or 3 hooks to hold the weight if you accidentally tug on the hose.

I used some leftover medical curtain tracks and curtain hooks used in medical bays. They’re made to hold heavy 10’ curtains that are constantly pulled on. Not a cheap option if you don’t find a deal.

RE: Overhead trolley for Festool vac hose - Stwood_ - 06-15-2018

I use rubber tarp straps, no rail. Just hangs from the ceiling and stretches.

RE: Overhead trolley for Festool vac hose - Richard D. - 06-16-2018

Use a piece of bungee cord (cut to length, not with the hooks) hung from the ceiling, done.

RE: Overhead trolley for Festool vac hose - Arlin Eastman - 06-16-2018

This is what I was thinking which is A, B, or C.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#trolleys/=1dbchet

Then scroll down to Strut Channel Trolleys and click on that

Then scroll down to where it says "A..... 50".