Woodnet Forums
Where does all the crap come from?! - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Where does all the crap come from?! (/showthread.php?tid=7340247)

Where does all the crap come from?! - paulmon - 06-14-2018

When you have a small work space, you have to get creative. That means keeping a lot of lumber outside. Today I pulled the lumber racks down and spaced them away from the wall the width of a 2x4 ( 3 1/2" ). This allows me to slide sheets of plywood in behind the other stuff. 'Cause nothing takes up a small work shop like a sheet of plywood.

Because I consolidated 2 piles of junk into one, my racks were going to have a lot of wasted space. Luckily, as I was cleaning I found 2 pieces of rebar on the ground. I just drilled a hole in each upright and hammered them in. Used up the wasted space, it was a quick fix, and they're strong.

Anyway, just a little quick and dirty job but it always feels good to get 'er done!

Paul M

RE: Where does all the crap come from?! - sweensdv2 - 06-15-2018

Very nice and thanks for sharing but please help those of us with tired eyes and increase the size of your font setting.
Laugh

RE: Where does all the crap come from?! - hbmcc - 06-15-2018

That looks like random stacking. Are the pieces organized by project?

RE: Where does all the crap come from?! - BloomingtonMike - 06-15-2018

Most ply outside is NO GO

RE: Where does all the crap come from?! - paulmon - 06-15-2018

All 'good' wood is inside. This wood gets used fairly soon but some of it has been outside more than a year. It is organized by shape. Sort of. I get most of it for cheap if not free so I just need a place to keep it and don't have room in the shop. Some of it is cedar which holds up well outside. And it is pretty much covered. As a boat builder I am used to building outside anyway.

RE: Where does all the crap come from?! - hbmcc - 06-17-2018

This month is 'get rid of crap' for me and make a work area I can actually work in; note, no mention of "shop". The wife's junk is leaving, and there may be a war commencing soon. Her stuff and mine don't mix. Never have. That's why I stopped by your post. Hoping for solutions.

An entire wall of the house is covered with mostly finished lumber. I notice that cedars and Doug fir are the most stable. Red oak and maples don't appreciate fresh air.

RE: Where does all the crap come from?! - Stwood_ - 06-17-2018

(06-15-2018, 09:21 AM)sweensdv2 Wrote: Very nice and thanks for sharing but please help those of us with tired eyes and increase the size of your font setting.
Laugh

He probably did a C&P here.

RE: Where does all the crap come from?! - rwe2156 - 06-19-2018

Nice but I do not recommend storing your project lumber outside.  Especially plywood.  Definitely MDF.

RE: Where does all the crap come from?! - blackhat - 06-20-2018

I told one of the worst offenders at dropping crap off at my back door that I was reversing the flow of material to my shop.  More has to go out than come in.  Made him take a bucket of scraps for his fire pit and a bunch of thin slats I'd saved for probably 10 years.  Told him to give them to folks for garden stakes.  It gets insane.