Woodnet Forums
Two out of three ain't bad - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Two out of three ain't bad (/showthread.php?tid=7340433)

Pages: 1 2

Two out of three ain't bad - Wild Turkey - 06-22-2018

Electrical inspector came by today my new shop while I was getting some lunch/parts. 

Left me a note about three problems -- a missing staple and I needed to use bigger wire for lights on end of circuit.  (I ran 12/2 wg from the last 220v outlet to an exterior light.  Wire was plenty big for light but inspectors don't think that way
Rolleyes )

Got two of them already fixed
Cool 

After all the trouble they gave me getting started if that's as bad as it gets I'm tickled
Laugh

RE: Two out of three ain't bad - fredhargis - 06-23-2018

Congratulations, from what I've read most electrical inspections do not go nearly that well. But man, a bigger wire than 12/2 for lights...wow. After the hell they put you through on the permits, you deserve a some good news.

RE: Two out of three ain't bad - TDKPE - 06-23-2018

(06-22-2018, 03:31 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Left me a note about three problems -- a missing staple and I needed to use bigger wire for lights on end of circuit.  (I ran 12/2 wg from the last 220v outlet to an exterior light.  Wire was plenty big for light but inspectors don't think that way
Rolleyes )

You have a 240V exterior light?  Or is it a 30A 120/240V MWBC and you tapped a light off of it?

RE: Two out of three ain't bad - Roly - 06-23-2018

(06-23-2018, 08:13 AM)TDKPE Wrote: You have a 240V exterior light?  Or is it a 30A 120/240V MWBC and you tapped a light off of it?

I'm betting the latter.   Wire size must go along with the breaker size (with few exceptions).  Roly

RE: Two out of three ain't bad - Wild Turkey - 06-23-2018

Pair of old 220v floodlights.  I ran 12/2 from the last outlet to the lights to make it easier/cheaper to wire the floods.

He was not amused
Rolleyes

They are concerned that at some point someone will change the light that's 15 feet in the air for a 20 amp outlet
Laugh

But like I said it could have been a lot worse.
Wink

RE: Two out of three ain't bad - BloomingtonMike - 06-23-2018

12/2 is 20 amp.

Guessing you had 10/2 till that point?

(06-23-2018, 01:52 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: 12/2 is 20 amp.

Guessing you had 10/2 till that point?

10/3 w/ground.  220 v circuit.

Went with lighter stuff because bending 10 ga that far off the floor is more exciting than I like.
Rolleyes

Would have found the staple if I'd been able to finish double checking things but GFCI that fed the extension cord I was using for power decided to retire. It's little light was still burning so it was last thing I checked
Upset

RE: Two out of three ain't bad - JosephP - 06-23-2018

(06-22-2018, 03:31 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Electrical inspector came by today my new shop while I was getting some lunch/parts. 

Left me a note about three problems -- (1) a missing staple and (2) I needed to use bigger wire for lights on end of circuit.  (I ran 12/2 wg from the last 220v outlet to an exterior light.  Wire was plenty big for light but inspectors don't think that way
Rolleyes )

(3)???

Got two of them already fixed
Cool 

After all the trouble they gave me getting started if that's as bad as it gets I'm tickled
Laugh

Did I lose count somewhere?

(06-23-2018, 07:14 PM)JosephP Wrote: Did I lose count somewhere?

Quote:lights on end of circuit.

Yep, two lights, one on each end of shop.  Sorry it wasn't clear
Laugh

RE: Two out of three ain't bad - Foggy - 06-24-2018

You came out good. I found that it was good to leave a couple of minor things for the inspector to find. Some inspectors have to prove themselves by finding something wrong, even if they have to invent something. Some of their inventions can be a real pain.