Woodnet Forums
Intermittent shorts - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Intermittent shorts (/showthread.php?tid=7340495)

Intermittent shorts - blackhat - 06-25-2018

have got to be one of the biggest PITA to deal with. Rooftop AC unit with the thermostat 2 floors below. Control circuit normally pulls just under .5 amps. Every once in a while it decides to pull 14.5. The control transformer has a 3 amp circuit breaker integral. It is not happy. I have disconnected 14 yards of factory wiring harness for unused options. I don't know if I have found it yet. Just venting.

RE: Intermittent shorts - goaliedad - 06-25-2018

I feel your pain. Give me broken or fixed- thus sometimes broken stuff is a pain

RE: Intermittent shorts - daddo - 06-25-2018

I usually find the contactors coil (or relay) over drawing, rain or condensate getting onto the lv wiring, a sensor wire touching copper, the dreaded rodent chewed wires way back in a far away corner of the hardest place to get to on Earth, a circuit board or circuit board with a lizard stuck behind it. A LV wire, either R Y G O shorting to ground and the common side grounded at the transformer.

I'll resort to fusing each LV wire separately just before insanity sets in.

Shouldn't take that long.
Laugh

RE: Intermittent shorts - blackhat - 06-25-2018

I picked up 10 1 amp fuses this morning.

RE: Intermittent shorts - Cooler - 06-27-2018

Intermittent shorts:

[Image: 61f3ieslI%2BL._UX342_.jpg]

RE: Intermittent shorts - MstrCarpenter - 06-29-2018

I hate intermittent problems.  It's aggravating when it won't stay broken long enough to fix it. More so when you've found the problem and fixed it a half dozen times; all different problems and still not "the" problem.

"If it taint broken; it don't need fix'n". Not really.
"My roof only leaks when it rains, and I'm not getting on the roof during a thunderstorm." Possible excuse but still not the solution.

However my wife gave me a special can huggie for Fathers Day that tops those, and might hit just a little too close to home. It says " If a man says he will fix something, he will...
There's no need to remind him every six months."