Woodnet Forums
interior window trim buckling/warping - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: interior window trim buckling/warping (/showthread.php?tid=7340890)

Pages: 1 2 3

interior window trim buckling/warping - GreatDane - 07-10-2018

The trim appears to be warping, but I'm unsure why, and need some guidance on addressing it. There are two locations, on the bottom and the corner of the bottom and one side. No sign outside of deterioration or place where water is getting in. We just moved here a year ago, but windows are relatively new. I did notice the corner part during the winter, and a bit on the bottom, but just now noticed a great deal of increased separation/buckling.

Thoughts? Do I not know until I pry them up? Any tips on doing that?

RE: interior window trim buckling/warping - Cooler - 07-10-2018

What is the trim made out of?

RE: interior window trim buckling/warping - crokett™ - 07-10-2018

(07-10-2018, 03:10 PM)Cooler Wrote: What is the trim made out of?

It looks like it's wood.  He's most likely going to have to pull it to see if there's water getting in somewhere.  

To pry it out, you need a flat prybar.  this will let you get behind it without damaging the trim.  It's also a very good idea to cut any caulking with a utility knife and go slow, the trim is liable to crack.

RE: interior window trim buckling/warping - Cooler - 07-10-2018

(07-10-2018, 03:17 PM)crokett™ Wrote: It looks like it's wood.  He's most likely going to have to pull it to see if there's water getting in somewhere.  

To pry it out, you need a flat prybar.  this will let you get behind it without damaging the trim.  It's also a very good idea to cut any caulking with a utility knife and go slow, the trim is liable to crack.

Stick an awl in it and see if it is soft.  But judging from the paint, it looks like it has been exposed to moisture.  

Make sure the weep holes on the outside are clear.  If they are covered with caulk it will force the water into the house.

Oops!.  I meant to address this to the OP.  My bad.

RE: interior window trim buckling/warping - Stwood_ - 07-10-2018

Looks like rainwater getting in from or around the window. I would ck the drains/weep holes out side real close.

RE: interior window trim buckling/warping - GreatDane - 07-10-2018

(07-10-2018, 06:14 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Looks like rainwater getting in from or around the window. I would ck the drains/weep holes out side real close.

Thanks much for the replies. It is wood - my nephew theorized that it might be particle board that is more susceptible to swelling like that - but regardless, it still requires water to get to it.

Re: the weep holes, neither were clogged. Though the one with the flap was closed (water would have still flowed through, though). I took a picture of that, as well as the top of the exterior, where it doesn't appear there was an issue. 
On second thought - and look at the photo - I wonder if the corner is susceptible? I'll definitely caulk it, just in case.

I just poured water into the sill, and it flowed (though with bits of stuff coming out). But I'm wondering could it be that it's angled towards the house a bit, and water is still accumulating in the sill, despite some of it flowing out of the seep holes? Particularly the one with the flap, as that's closer to the interior.

RE: interior window trim buckling/warping - Cooler - 07-11-2018

Was the window flashed?

[Image: 095959004339.jpg]

RE: interior window trim buckling/warping - DaveHo - 07-11-2018

Where are you located?  Maybe the trim was installed too snug & the buckling is caused by swelling due to humidity?

RE: interior window trim buckling/warping - Roly - 07-11-2018

(07-10-2018, 09:56 PM)GreatDane Wrote: Thanks much for the replies. It is wood - my nephew theorized that it might be particle board that is more susceptible to swelling like that - but regardless, it still requires water to get to it.

Re: the weep holes, neither were clogged. Though the one with the flap was closed (water would have still flowed through, though). I took a picture of that, as well as the top of the exterior, where it doesn't appear there was an issue. 
On second thought - and look at the photo - I wonder if the corner is susceptible? I'll definitely caulk it, just in case.

I just poured water into the sill, and it flowed (though with bits of stuff coming out). But I'm wondering could it be that it's angled towards the house a bit, and water is still accumulating in the sill, despite some of it flowing out of the seep holes? Particularly the one with the flap, as that's closer to the interior.

Check the caulking at the top right corner of the picture.   The caulking is cracked and I dont understand the cutout in the trim or flashing (not sure what it is)  Check all along the top edge.  Zoom into picture and you can see the cracked caulk.  Roly
Picture in post 15

RE: interior window trim buckling/warping - GreatDane - 07-11-2018

(07-11-2018, 10:04 AM)Roly Wrote: Check the caulking at the top right corner of the picture.   The caulking is cracked and I dont understand the cutout in the trim or flashing (not sure what it is)  Check all along the top edge.  Zoom into picture and you can see the cracked caulk.  Roly
Picture in post 15

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was caulk or paint that was cracked. I'll re-apply, anyway. I guess it could just be pooling down there, but it seems odd that there's no issues up top, too, if coming from there(?) 
I'm concerned that it's actually in the window install. Trying to read up on how the windows work. 

Could you confirm that I understand the weep holes correctly? That the water in the green area should flow out of the green weep hole, with the flap?

My thought is that water must be going in there and not flowing out - or is, but is also flowing towards the house. I'm guessing that the window is supposed to be sealed, so that it can NOT flow past the inside window frame? If I pull up (when I do) that I'll likely find that there's a leak in the frame causing that. Thoughts?

Here are some other photos; someone asked about flashing. Isn't that the metal that's on top? Does everything else look ok, other than the caulking possibly cracked?