Woodnet Forums
NG fired boiler - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: NG fired boiler (/showthread.php?tid=7340915)

NG fired boiler - Gansett - 07-11-2018

I'm hoping someone can give me the rough cost of a NG fired boiler to replace a oil fired unit. My daughter is looking at a house and the boiler sent the inspectors CO  meter, ''off the scale'' in his words. He believes the unit is early 90's vintage, there's no tag to indicate any maintenance and he suggested replacing, I wholeheartedly agree.
 NG is piped in for the stove. It's a 3 bedroom ranch, roughly 12-13 square feet. Cost of curse is a consideration but a minor one as my twin grandsons will be sleeping in this house, hopefully.
What brands are recommended and which ones to avoid.

Thanks

RE: NG fired boiler - BaileyNo5 - 07-11-2018

I have an Allied Engineering MG-100 running slab heat and hot water. Been running strong since 2005, only had to replace the thermocouple a few times.

RE: NG fired boiler - bpm - 07-12-2018

I recently replaced my 35 year old Weil McLain with a new Weil McLain PEG-50.  I have a single pipe steam system and because the boiler was virtually identical to the existing one, there was very little work needed on the piping.  Total cost was $8,300, and that also included a new 50-gallon Bradford White water heater.  I also got a $2,000 rebate on the boiler from the Mass Save program so that cut my cost to $6,300.  The plumber I hired spoke very highly of Weil McLain boilers and if the new one lasts as long as the one it replaced, I'll be very happy.

RE: NG fired boiler - Snipe Hunter - 07-15-2018

If the inspector's meter went off, it probably went off at a certain area of the machine. Get it serviced. When my meter goes off, it usually goes off at a vent pipe. I recommend they fix the vent pipe. NG boilers run fairly clean and last a long time. Even when they have a bad part, the CO should still be carried out through the flue. The inspector should have said "Observed XX parts per million CO, measured at XX. Inspected flue on the roof and it didn't appear to be clogged. Recommend further evaluation and repair or replacement by a qualified professional." She had a lazy inspector. Boilers last a long time. Sometimes they just need to be serviced.

Inspectors aren't HVAC professionals. They just observe what the see and report their observations. "Off the charts" is not an acceptable measurement. Show me your chart Mr Inspector and show me your meter and show me where you tested the CO level. That should have all been on the report.

Saw an inspector tell a customer their furnace leaked CO. They replaced the furnace. Inspector came back and tested again... still high. The water heater wasn't tested and he obviously didn't look at it. The flue pipe was rusted through. He was reading CO from the water heater flue at the furnace.

Get a second opinion from an HVAC tech and have him quote repair/replacement costs. It shouldn't cost you anything.