Woodnet Forums
The Birth of a Grizzly Table Saw - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: The Birth of a Grizzly Table Saw (/showthread.php?tid=7341528)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Birth of a Grizzly Table Saw - 5thumbs - 08-07-2018

So, after ordering a Grizzly G0771Z table saw from Grizzly, I settled in to wait for delivery. UPS called on Thursday and scheduled a delivery for the following Tuesday. Following advice from Grizzly, I had a friend show up to help with moving the package from the curb to my shop (one car garage).

Naturally, delivery was scheduled between 2pm and 6pm and UPS didn't show.  I called UPS and the said: "Yeah, well we're a little busy right now, I guess we'll show up tomorrow."

My friend wasn't available, so I made arrangement to use a set of casters I have to transport the package up my driveway.

Finally the truck arrived! 

The UPS driver was really nice. He had a pallet jack and wheeled the saw right into my shop. Gave him $20 since I figured that was how much I would need for the collection plate next Sunday if I had to use my magic words to get the saw up the driveway.

Started assembling the saw moveable base. Pretty easy except they don't tell you that you need someone with fingers the size of needle nose pliers. Not much clearance between the sides of the base and the nuts for the casters. After about an hour, it was together.

Now for the fun part. Started taking the container apart and found the wooden base is bolted to the saw. No mention of this in the instructions. Fortunately, I have a strong saw bench, so I leaned the cabinet back onto that. This not only gave me access ot the two (2) bolts in the base - which are much longer than they need to be - but also let me install the base and size it to the saw. Since the base doesn't attach to the cabinet, I used a bungee cord to hold the base on while I set the saw back on its feet

Degreased the top with WD-40 and applied a coating of Camellia oil to all iron surfaces.

OK, so all of that took about a day in 90 degree heat. (Shop isn't air conditioned.)

Tomorrow's another day.

RE: The Birth of a Grizzly Table Saw - Admiral - 08-07-2018

Sounds like a great start.

RE: The Birth of a Grizzly Table Saw - stav - 08-07-2018

That saw looks like it has a lot of good options.  Looking forward to your review on it.

RE: The Birth of a Grizzly Table Saw - Arlin Eastman - 08-07-2018

Congrats on the new saw.  I love my 0690 which the VA bought for me.

RE: The Birth of a Grizzly Table Saw - jteneyck - 08-08-2018

Glad to see your saw arrived safe and sound.  I've always had great service from UPS freight and they have always pulled the machine up my 120 ft driveway to my garage.  Some wouldn't even take a tip, no matter holding out the offered cash.  The fact that Grizzly bolts their machines to the pallet is a good thing.  Whatever effort it takes to get the bolts off are worth it because it greatly reduces the chances of the machine being damaged in transit.  Remember the horror story here about a MiniMax TS?  Look forward to seeing your machine all set up and your first impressions.  

John

RE: The Birth of a Grizzly Table Saw - rwe2156 - 08-08-2018

Geez, what a whiner!!

Just kidding :-D

Good luck I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I've had good luck with my Grizzly planer and jointer.

RE: The Birth of a Grizzly Table Saw - 5thumbs - 08-08-2018

• Day 2 - continued the assembly. Note to those who buy this saw, leave the bolts loose when attaching the front rail. Once you install the fence, if the zero mark isn't close to where it needs to be, you can slide the front rail to where it needs to be. That lets you use to small adjustments on the rail itself for any "fine tuning" that might be needed.
  • Added the blade, rear rail, dust chute and motor cover. All pretty straightforward. Another note to assemblers - avoid "helpers" who don't know about "lefty loosey, righty, tighty", Took a close look after hearing the complaint that "the bolts aren't the right size". After we got the bolts turning in the right direction, things went a lot quicker!Shop temp is still 90+, so we'll work on alignment tomorrow. So far, it's looking pretty good.

RE: The Birth of a Grizzly Table Saw - packerguy® - 08-08-2018

Congrats on the new saw.

Remember if the base wasnt wood, and the lags wernt long, your post would have been a complaint how it shifted in the box and scratched it up......there is a reason for everything. 
Winkgrin

RE: The Birth of a Grizzly Table Saw - Admiral - 08-08-2018

(08-08-2018, 05:28 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Congrats on the new saw.

Remember if the base wasnt wood, and the lags wernt long, your post would have been a complaint how it shifted in the box and scratched it up......there is a reason for everything. 
Winkgrin

good point.  My experience with Griz shipping and packing is that it is somewhat flimsy, but it does the job.  Everything Ive gotten from then has arrived safely.

RE: The Birth of a Grizzly Table Saw - abernat - 08-08-2018

You figured out that the saw was bolted down a lot earlier than I did. 

"Okay, time to move the saw. darn! Not moving. Okay, let's pull the top... and the motor... it still won't move!!"