Woodnet Forums
Mowers. Who’s gone electric? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Mowers. Who’s gone electric? (/showthread.php?tid=7342002)

Pages: 1 2 3

Mowers. Who’s gone electric? - bennybmn - 08-26-2018

I’ve gotten 4years out of a free mower and I think I’m done... new carb, wouldn’t start the other day, same day 6 hours later started first pull. After a half hour it’ll never restart after being shut off (bag empty). I don’t have time, energy or BP meds to deal with it lol.

So the wife and I were looking at mowers. I’ve heard people praise Honda engines, so that’s the way I’d go if I were to get another gas unit. But I have an Ego trimmer that I like with the 56V battery. Considering getting their mower. Your basic Honda is $400, the base Ego is also 4 bills, and the self propelled is $500. Also gets you a bigger battery. One hour run time is enough to do my lawn and I’d have a spare battery too. Thoughts?

Interesting observation, most of the electrics seems to have a single handle height adjustment whereas none of the gas models do...

RE: Mowers. Who’s gone electric? - Phil Thien - 08-26-2018

The cordless units I've seen around the neighborhood seem to have a somewhat narrower cutting path.

I've also sometimes struggled w/ longer grass with a B&S 6.5-HP engine, and now I use a Lawn Boy 6.5 2-stroke which will seemingly cut anything I throw at it.  I'd be surprised if a cordless could handle thicker/taller/somewhat wet grass.

RE: Mowers. Who’s gone electric? - bennybmn - 08-26-2018

I borrowed my friend’s lawn boy 2stroke once, beast. I don’t often have long wet grass. Frankly I wish I had that problem lol. That’s a post for another time. The Ego is a 21”, my toro is 21 or 22.

RE: Mowers. Who’s gone electric? - JosephP - 08-26-2018

I have a GreenWorks 40V.

It came with a larger and small battery.  If the grass is long, those aren't quite enough.  Fortunately, I also got the weed wacker which came with a battery so I can switch one out and do it all.  The bigger battery will charge right after it dies, but the smaller ones won't until they cool down for some reason.  So if I think I am not going to get it all done (especially if I weed wack first), I'll make sure the big battery is used first, put it in the charger, then use both of the small ones.  When those are dead, the big one is nearly back to 100% so I can finish with that.

Besides the battery, the biggest down side is that it has 2 small blades instead of 1.  The cut isn't as perfectly clean as some other mowers because of that, but I am happy with it...

I'd do it again.

I'm sick of the new gas engines.  I've thrown away 3 mowers in the last 15 years because somebody thought they should be tuned so tightly that they will save a half a pint of gas per year.  The last one I bought was a Husqvarna with a Kohler engine.  If I had to buy another gas engine, I'd get a Honda...or find a 25+ year old mower with a B&S engine that has been in the back of some old guy's shed for the last 15...clean it up and it will run like a top.

If I had the money and I cared about a pristine lawn, I'd probably get a robotic Husqvarna mower.  It mows multiple times a week.  Key being IT, not ME!!!

RE: Mowers. Who’s gone electric? - Tapper - 08-27-2018

(08-26-2018, 08:22 PM)bennybmn Wrote: I’ve gotten 4years out of a free mower and I think I’m done... new carb, wouldn’t start the other day, same day 6 hours later started first pull. After a half hour it’ll never restart after being shut off (bag empty). I don’t have time, energy or BP meds to deal with it lol.

So the wife and I were looking at mowers. I’ve heard people praise Honda  engines, so that’s the way I’d go if I were to get another gas unit. But I have an Ego trimmer that I like with the 56V battery. Considering getting their mower. Your basic Honda is $400, the base Ego is also 4 bills, and the self propelled is $500. Also gets you a bigger battery. One hour run time is enough to do my lawn and I’d have a spare battery too. Thoughts?

Interesting observation, most of the electrics seems to have a single handle height adjustment whereas none of the gas models do...

Bought one of these cordless lawnmowers from Home Depot a couple of years ago. After two years of usage I can endorse it overwhelmingly! Although only a small part of my property is sodded and irrigated, I can get two cuttings from a single charge. Mower is self-propelled, has variable speed lever, speeds up on its own when the grass is deeper and performs beyond my expectations. A feature I especially like is that with a single lever you can change the height of the cut, unlike most others where you have to adjust each wheel.

Battery charges up pretty quickly with no problems thus far. I'd be surprised if your edge trimmer battery will fit the lawn mower, but maybe????Totally satisfied with no negative comments at this point.

Doug

EGO Electric Mower at HD

RE: Mowers. Who’s gone electric? - bennybmn - 08-27-2018

The battery definitely fits, at least according to the internet lol. If I get the self propelled mower it comes with a 7 amp-hour battery, I think the one that came with the trimmer is like a 2.5... So they work on anything, but with much different size and weight haha.

Thanks for the feedback guys,

RE: Mowers. Who’s gone electric? - mbg - 08-27-2018

(08-27-2018, 12:16 PM)bennybmn Wrote: The battery definitely fits, at least according to the internet lol. If I get the self propelled mower it comes with a 7 amp-hour battery, I think the one that came with the trimmer is like a 2.5...  So they work on anything, but with much different size and weight haha.

Thanks for the feedback guys,

Benny - last year many of my lawn tools need replacement. I bought the EGO string trimmer and blower first and really liked the lack of noise and gas. My Honda Harmony was to my surprise 13 years old and it needed a good overhaul. I decided to pick up the EGO 21" self-propelled mower. On my second season with it and still impressed. I only mulch and it powers through overgrown thick grass better than my Honda. I'm on a 1/4 acre lot and I can do two mowings before needing to charge my 7.5AHr battery. Seems EGO uses a soft steel on their blades so I do have a spare and c/o the blade maybe every third use. It takes less than 5 minutes to change out and with a flap disk on my right angle grinder I can sharpen the blade in no time.

I now have almost all the lawn tools they offer and love them all. Especially like the ability to share the batteries. I did get the snow blower and was wanting to love it but had to return it. It's not self propelled and the sharp scraper bar on it came to a sudden stop at every step in the concrete. Especially like the ability to share the batteries.

If you are close to a Menards you can get 11% off on Home Depot in-store purchases.

Mike

RE: Mowers. Who’s gone electric? - bennybmn - 08-27-2018

Thanks Mike! Nowhere near a Maynards, but I have some birthday home depot cards burning a hole in my pocket... I wonder if the blades are made of a lighter material and therefore softer?

I have a 2 stage Cub Cadet snow blower that I'll have to focus my small engine efforts on
Big Grin

RE: Mowers. Who’s gone electric? - DaveR1 - 08-27-2018

We had an ancient old Singer battery powered lawnmower for years. Finally decided it was time to replace it and bought an Ego mower a couple of years ago. It's been great and I'd do it again if I had to buy another one.

RE: Mowers. Who’s gone electric? - Wildwood - 08-27-2018

Bought this one last year for doing around my house and mail box where my riding mower cannot go. I am sold on electric mowers. This replaced a Troy push mower with Honda engine that could not keep running even after sending it back for service. After taking back to Lowes same day got it back from service for exchange traded up to this electric. Think the bagger is lame so do use the mulch attachment, but could swap to use the side discharge if were doing whole yard.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-40-volt-Brushless-Lithium-on-20-in-Cordless-Electric-Lawn-Mower-Battery-Included/1000192703

Think you'll be happy with any of the brands you and others mentioned!