Woodnet Forums
CNC, Talk me out of it or not - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: CNC, Talk me out of it or not (/showthread.php?tid=7342009)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: CNC, Talk me out of it or not - packerguy® - 09-07-2018

Very cool. Looks like you got the hang of it.

RE: CNC, Talk me out of it or not - Gary™ - 09-07-2018

Did some more testing today.

1) first test hit the Y limit switch - thought I had more that direction.   Firewood

2) Box cut but lid fits too tight.  So I cut the inside at 4.5 and the mating part at 4.5 so it should fit. LOL more Firewood

3) After putting in .050 clearance I get the the third box.  The lid fits great but I've too much tearout and chipping so off to Woodcraft tomorrow to get a 1/4 spiral downcut bit.    I also learned it's important to place my tabs perpendicular to the grain.  

Might need to beef up the lip a little too

New knowledge gained ever day.  Glad I have tons of scrap around. I'm loving Vcarve Desktop

[attachment=12819]

RE: CNC, Talk me out of it or not - Lumber Yard® - 09-07-2018

I think you're doing great. Hang in there... the more you do the easier it becomes and you just kind of get a feel for what your machine is capable of.

RE: CNC, Talk me out of it or not - Phil Thien - 09-07-2018

I agree w/ Lumber Yard.

Whatcha putting in the box?

RE: CNC, Talk me out of it or not - Gary™ - 09-07-2018

(09-07-2018, 04:02 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I agree w/ Lumber Yard.

Whatcha putting in the box?

Happiness!

Whatever the people who buy them want to put in it makes me happy.

RE: CNC, Talk me out of it or not - BloomingtonMike - 09-12-2018

Gary, Are you Planning to run two tool paths, initial with the down cut, then switch and run the upcut spiral?

RE: CNC, Talk me out of it or not - Large Wooden Badger - 09-12-2018

best part of getting a CNC for me was, all of a sudden my teenage boys took an interest in the shop.
Yes

RE: CNC, Talk me out of it or not - Gary™ - 09-12-2018

(09-12-2018, 03:04 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Gary, Are you Planning to run two tool paths, initial with the down cut, then switch and run the upcut spiral?

I think I've gotten it down to 4 tools & paths

1. Cut pockets for magnets to hold lid closed (not shown in that pic) with 1/8 em (uncut as the surface is milled down later.

2. Drill symmetrical alignment holes with 1/4 uncut em so I can align it later after I flip it.   I tried merging this with the step below and I can't drill well with a downcut bit even if you peck it.

3. Cut the inside of the case (lips, pockets) with 1/4 downcut em.  leaves a nice surface and no fuzzies.  I even cut the pieces out leaving 4 tabs on each to stabilize it.

4. Flip the part using the alignment holes

5. Vcarve the pattern on the top.

I reduced the detail in the pattern as the wood I'm carving just does not seem to be able to handle it.  Maybe if I tried a sanding sealer or similar before I cut it but that's another experiment for later. This box is at the limit of detail for cherry. If I try any finer it does not come out well.

Here is a pic of the 4.2" diameter box.

[attachment=12991]

RE: CNC, Talk me out of it or not - Gary™ - 09-17-2018

Made a trivet out of Corian today.  Took a guess at the feed rates and hit it pretty close at 30 ipm.   It's made from an old backsplash and measures 3.25" square.

[attachment=13143]

RE: CNC, Talk me out of it or not - EightFingers - 09-18-2018

What’s corona?