Woodnet Forums
Handtools: Mid 19th Century woodies and Framer's Paring Chisel - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Handtools: Mid 19th Century woodies and Framer's Paring Chisel (/showthread.php?tid=7342150)

Handtools: Mid 19th Century woodies and Framer's Paring Chisel - Admiral - 09-02-2018

Over this weekend I got into a 19th century joiner's box; mostly it was picked over, and while I generally don't buy wooden planes (as most are trashed in one way or another) these two were the exception; I also found a nice framer's paring chisel  underneath the jointer that someone missed!  Pics in Flickr album linked below.  So:

First is a 22" long, 3" wide and a full 3" deep (which is unusual, as jointing the sole flat over the years eats away at it, and widens the mouth) jointer, marked "H. Chapin Union Factory Warranted".  I looked it up in Pollack's Guide, and to my surprise, given its condition, it dates from between 1828 and 1860, read this:

[Image: 29493112187_21d33476ca_b.jpg]

Apology is the horn of the handle, but the sole is in good condition, mouth not too wide, iron marked Butcher Warranted Cast Steel, and it has a chipbreaker.  This tool is as found, I've not done anything to it.  As far as I'm concerned, its in excellent condition for a 160 year old (at least) plane.  Yours for the very reasonable price of $45 plus shipping, I got a good deal on it and am passing it forward; for all I know, as ole' Hermon was a pretty important maker, it could be worth a lot more.  All you woodie fans, here's your chance for a nice piece, with history, to put to work.  Teaser pic:

[Image: 29493116327_c498f0859c_b.jpg]

Next is a 1 1/2" skew shoulder plane, 9 1/2" long, in nice condition, marked "W.Williams"; I suspect it is of similar vintage to the jointer, again, in good condition, plenty of iron left, original wedge.  It is not often I find one in good condition, sole needs jointing and iron needs sharpening, but its got good bones, it is as found, I've done nothing to it; I have one very much like it I keep in my travel tool chest, a lot lighter than hauling around iron ones...  yours for $20 plus shipping.  Teaser pic:

[Image: 29493114787_be96872191_b.jpg]

Last but not least is the framer's paring chisel; thinner than the large slicks, this one has the Butcher "Maltese Cross" mark, an early one too, and is 1 11/16ths wide, total length 15", and meaty part of the chisel above the tang is a good 5 1/2", so plenty of life.  Back has some rust pitting but its far up the back, the working end is just dandy.  Handle solid, no real apologies otherwise.  Yours for $25 plus shipping.  Teaser pic:

[Image: 43522193255_b8a08be487_b.jpg]

Link to flickr album with more pictures:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/9433588@N08/albums/72157670832878517

As always, first PM with an unequivocal "I'll take it" gets priority, and please include your full shipping address so I can print shipping labels and quote postage.  I don't have paypal so payment old school via USPS money order; but if I know you from the forum then checks are fine.

Solid user tools reasonably priced, and in this case, with some impressive history as well.  Thanks for looking.

RE: Handtools: Mid 19th Century woodies and Framer's Paring Chisel - Admiral - 09-03-2018

The jointer and chisel are pending confirmation. The shoulder plane, a good deal, is still available.

RE: Handtools: Mid 19th Century woodies and Framer's Paring Chisel - Admiral - 09-03-2018

(09-03-2018, 12:49 PM)Admiral Wrote: The jointer and chisel are pending confirmation. The shoulder plane, a good deal, is still available.

Here's a picture of the skew sole of the shoulder plane, don't know why I didn't include that in the original post.  It will be a good user for someone.

[Image: 43547364565_8577427a72_b.jpg]

RE: Handtools: Mid 19th Century woodies and Framer's Paring Chisel - Admiral - 09-06-2018

Shoulder plane is sold. Thanks to all for looking.