Woodnet Forums
Bandsaw....finally pulled the trigger - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Bandsaw....finally pulled the trigger (/showthread.php?tid=7342310)

Pages: 1 2

Bandsaw....finally pulled the trigger - Duane N - 09-09-2018

[attachment=12839]

It's still in the back of my truck because I was waiting for my neighbor to get back into town to help me unload it and set it up.  I have a few projects in the works where I needed a bandsaw so it was time for me to pick one up.  Hopefully we can get it set up and dialed in today. 
Smile

RE: Bandsaw....finally pulled the trigger - fredhargis - 09-09-2018

(09-09-2018, 04:34 AM)Duane N Wrote: It's still in the back of my truck because I was waiting for my neighbor to get back into town to help me unload it and set it up.  I have a few projects in the works where I needed a bandsaw so it was time for me to pick one up.  Hopefully we can get it set up and dialed in today. 
Smile

I just got an e mail from Woodcraft about that saw, eager to hear your review, and CONGRATS.

RE: Bandsaw....finally pulled the trigger - Duane N - 09-09-2018

(09-09-2018, 06:22 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I just got an e mail from Woodcraft about that saw, eager to hear your review, and CONGRATS.

I got it set up by myself today.  For now it's going to be mounted on a wood stand so I can move it out of the way when I'm not using it.  Trying to get it dialed in using the blade that came with the saw.  I need to get one for re-sawing but on pine it cuts like butter with the 5/8" blade.

[attachment=12864]

RE: Bandsaw....finally pulled the trigger - Arlin Eastman - 09-09-2018

(09-09-2018, 06:22 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I just got an e mail from Woodcraft about that saw, eager to hear your review, and CONGRATS.

I got the same email.

I hope it is everything you hoped for.
Yes

RE: Bandsaw....finally pulled the trigger - stav - 09-10-2018

Wow, 13" of re-saw capacity.  That should be a great saw. Congrats.

RE: Bandsaw....finally pulled the trigger - Phil Thien - 09-10-2018

That is a pretty nifty looking saw, hope it cuts as good as it looks!

RE: Bandsaw....finally pulled the trigger - FS7 - 09-10-2018

You know what I need to remember most about the bandsaw?

I don't use it much, so it just slips my mind. For blade longevity, you're supposed to de-tension the blade when you're not using it. This either leads me to a) forgetting to de-tension the blade after I'm done or b) forgetting to tension the blade before cutting.

RE: Bandsaw....finally pulled the trigger - shoottmx - 09-11-2018

(09-10-2018, 09:28 AM)FS7 Wrote: a) forgetting to de-tension the blade after I'm done or b) forgetting to tension the blade before cutting.

Someone here years ago suggested cracking open the top door when you de-tension the blade, then when you go back to the saw days later the open door will remind you to re-tension. Far better to forget to de-tension than to forget to re-tension when you crank her up. Don't ask how I know this
Laugh
Laugh 

g

RE: Bandsaw....finally pulled the trigger - Huxleywood - 09-11-2018

(09-10-2018, 09:28 AM)FS7 Wrote: . For blade longevity, you're supposed to de-tension the blade when you're not using it. 

Complete myth.  The static forces add essentially zero to the work hardening of a blade.  

The impact on the longevity of the bearings is about 99.9% myth.

The biggest potential actual issue is causing a flat spot on poor quality tires when a BS sits for an extended time without being run.  

The primary reason for the propagation of this dis-information is it drives people to spend more on bandsaws with quick releases.  Take a look at all the very best bandsaws built today, none of them have a quick release.  I have carbide blades on some of my saws that have been under 28-30k psi tension for years and the only time the tension is released is when they are getting sharpened.

RE: Bandsaw....finally pulled the trigger - Wizard of Oz - 09-11-2018

+1
Complete myth.