Woodnet Forums
18v. Gen 5 Rigid 7¼" circular saw - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: 18v. Gen 5 Rigid 7¼" circular saw (/showthread.php?tid=7342724)

Pages: 1 2

18v. Gen 5 Rigid 7¼" circular saw - Cooler - 09-26-2018

I just got my new Rigid battery powered circular saw.  I had to order it on line as none of the local  stores carried it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-GEN5X-Cordless-7-1-4-in-Circular-Saw-Tool-Only-with-Blade-and-Blade-Wrench-R8652B/206947568

It seems nicely made and cost effective:  $120.00 for the saw and $99.00 for two large capacity batteries.  

It cuts well.  I made 14 cross cuts on 2" x 8" pressure treated lumber and still had juice left.  

Note:  There is no indication when the battery is low.  It just stops cutting.  So two batteries are definitely required.

One major gripe, and it is probably because of the lawyers:  There is a thumb safety that has to be pressed before pulling the trigger (kinda like a 1911 Colt 45).  I find it annoying to remember to press that button and awkward to press too.  

Nice:  The on-board Allen key holder (and key).  

No case or bag however.  A bag would be nice.  I will try Harbor Freight.  

In summary:  A nice saw, not too heavy even with the over-sized batteries.  I still have my corded Milwaukee, but it is seeing much less use.

RE: 18v. Gen 5 Rigid 7¼" circular saw - Roly - 09-26-2018

(09-26-2018, 12:42 PM)Cooler Wrote: I just got my new Rigid battery powered circular saw.  I had to order it on line as none of the local  stores carried it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-GEN5X-Cordless-7-1-4-in-Circular-Saw-Tool-Only-with-Blade-and-Blade-Wrench-R8652B/206947568

It seems nicely made and cost effective:  $120.00 for the saw and $99.00 for two large capacity batteries.  

It cuts well.  I made 14 cross cuts on 2" x 8" pressure treated lumber and still had juice left.  

Note:  There is no indication when the battery is low.  It just stops cutting.  So two batteries are definitely required.

One major gripe, and it is probably because of the lawyers:  There is a thumb safety that has to be pressed before pulling the trigger (kinda like a 1911 Colt 45).  I find it annoying to remember to press that button and awkward to press too.  

Nice:  The on-board Allen key holder (and key).  

No case or bag however.  A bag would be nice.  I will try Harbor Freight.  

In summary:  A nice saw, not too heavy even with the over-sized batteries.  I still have my corded Milwaukee, but it is seeing much less use.

Arn't there about 4 lights on the front of the battery that show the charge  ?   May be hard to see on the saw.   Roly

RE: 18v. Gen 5 Rigid 7¼" circular saw - Cooler - 09-26-2018

(09-26-2018, 01:38 PM)Roly Wrote: Arn't there about 4 lights on the front of the battery that show the charge  ?   May be hard to see on the saw.   Roly

I never even looked.  I will check tonight.  

My Rigid drill is the same.  I will check on that too.

RE: 18v. Gen 5 Rigid 7¼" circular saw - Roly - 09-26-2018

(09-26-2018, 03:16 PM)Cooler Wrote: I never even looked.  I will check tonight.  

My Rigid drill is the same.  I will check on that too.

On mine press the orange button next to the lights.   Roly

RE: 18v. Gen 5 Rigid 7¼" circular saw - Cooler - 09-27-2018

(09-26-2018, 04:05 PM)Roly Wrote: On mine press the orange button next to the lights.   Roly

Thanks.

Do you find the thumb safety annoying?  Maybe I'll get used to is.

RE: 18v. Gen 5 Rigid 7¼" circular saw - Roly - 09-27-2018

(09-27-2018, 08:04 AM)Cooler Wrote: Thanks.

Do you find the thumb safety annoying?  Maybe I'll get used to is.

I don't have that model saw but yes the thumb safety is annoying but I understand the need for people not used to a commercial  type saw.   Roly

RE: 18v. Gen 5 Rigid 7¼" circular saw - Foggy - 09-27-2018

I recall an instance when a small boy picked up a circular saw when the carpenter set it down and turned away. The safety switch prevented any bloodshed. In this case it was good that the safety switch was awkward.

RE: 18v. Gen 5 Rigid 7¼" circular saw - DieselDennis - 09-27-2018

Did the circular saw the small boy picked up not have a functioning blade guard?

Blade is on the wrong side of the saw. Works good for left handed folks.

RE: 18v. Gen 5 Rigid 7¼" circular saw - bennybmn - 09-27-2018

I agree the safety is awkward. And I don't use it enough to really get used to it. But man I've come to appreciate cordless tools more these days. Wrapping up extension cords gets old fast! I used it to cut a bunch of Trex to length at my buddy's place this spring, and I got a plywood blade for it for breaking down sheets.

RE: 18v. Gen 5 Rigid 7¼" circular saw - Cian - 10-01-2018

IMO, the Rigid portables are very underrated. They are nice tools and have served me well over the years. I especially like the fact that I can use the LiOn batteries in the older NiMH tools. FWIW, Rigid and Milwaukee are owned by the same company.