Woodnet Forums
Dumb question re Dovetail jig error - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Dumb question re Dovetail jig error (/showthread.php?tid=7343507)

Pages: 1 2 3

Dumb question re Dovetail jig error - Steve Soldo - 10-08-2018

Making some drawers.  Using the Leigh jig.  This is not easy, as I only use the jig about 2-3 times per year.  Anyhow, have an error where the drawer front is short one corner, and similarly short on the kitty corner.  

Please refer to the picture, and the red arrows to understand.

What did I do wrong?  How can I prevent this from happening again?[attachment=13568]

RE: Dumb question re Dovetail jig error - KC - 10-08-2018

(10-08-2018, 12:22 AM)Steve Soldo Wrote: Making some drawers.  Using the Leigh jig.  This is not easy, as I only use the jig about 2-3 times per year.  Anyhow, have an error where the drawer front is short one corner, and similarly short on the kitty corner.  

Please refer to the picture, and the red arrows to understand.

What did I do wrong?  How can I prevent this from happening again?

Are all the pieces square?

RE: Dumb question re Dovetail jig error - fredhargis - 10-08-2018

I'd double check that the side stops are aligned correctly. I also don't use mine that often, and every time I pull it out it's a relearning process. Not complaining, a tool this good has to be somewhat complicated.

RE: Dumb question re Dovetail jig error - Handplanesandmore - 10-08-2018

Sorry that I can't help you because I no longer have that jig, but I can echoe your point that if you don't use it regularly (like once a month or two), each time you use it, you are re-learning the whole jig.

That's why I have learned how to hand cut dovetails. You WILL never forget about the steps once you have acquired the skills, like riding a bike.

Simon

RE: Dumb question re Dovetail jig error - Steve Soldo - 10-08-2018

(10-08-2018, 04:41 AM)KC Wrote: Are all the pieces square?

Yes

RE: Dumb question re Dovetail jig error - FrankAtl - 10-08-2018

I guess it's just the camera angle but the boards look like different widths.

RE: Dumb question re Dovetail jig error - BrokenOlMarine - 10-08-2018

I agree that when you don't use a specialty tool often, you forget the nuances.  I love my ibox jig for cutting finger joints for drawers and decorative box corners, but also only use IT a couple times a year.  So, before I even go out, I watch the dvd for adjustments and use.  Then run some scraps to refamiliarize myself before starting actual work. 
Big Grin

RE: Dumb question re Dovetail jig error - Willyou - 10-08-2018

Does the Leigh jig cut the pins and tails for a specific joint simultaneously? If so, and if the edge stops were used, each pair should line up. Is it possible that you have the pairs mixed up? Try switching the left and right drawer sides. If they do line up, you are good to go. However, it also indicates that the edge stops are not set properly to make the pins and tails, as a group, center on the width of the front and sides. These can be rather tedious settings and it can get confusing as to which stop to use, left or right, with each cut. I'm saying this based on my experience with the Porter Cable Omnijig. So, I could be way off. I'll be curious to learn what you find.

RE: Dumb question re Dovetail jig error - CLETUS - 10-08-2018

What happens if you rotate the board in front 180 degrees?

RE: Dumb question re Dovetail jig error - Wild Turkey - 10-08-2018

(10-08-2018, 03:00 PM)CLETUS Wrote: What happens if you rotate the board in front 180 degrees?

That was my thought too -- did you keep the "inside" on the same side both times?