Woodnet Forums
protecting deck from grill spills and splatter? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: protecting deck from grill spills and splatter? (/showthread.php?tid=7343564)

Pages: 1 2

protecting deck from grill spills and splatter? - goaliedad - 10-10-2018

I recently finished a deck, and have a new gas grill on it. I am wondering what, if anything, I should do to protect the deck from grease spills and splatter? some kind of sheet to put under the grill?

I am thinking maybe a piece of cement board?

my google skills are lacking today

thanks

RE: protecting deck from grill spills and splatter? - CLETUS - 10-10-2018

My moms grill is setting on a brick pad on the deck.

I really see no reason to put something under the grill. Of course, I'm not cooking with grease and don't get splatter.

RE: protecting deck from grill spills and splatter? - Foggy - 10-10-2018

If you are going to move the grill occasionally you will want to easily move whatever you put underneath. Left in place moisture from rains will be held against the deck, and that portion of the deck will be protected from sun fade.

RE: protecting deck from grill spills and splatter? - Willyou - 10-10-2018

How about one of those plastic sheets used under office desk chairs. I suspect it would be best to remove it when not in use. Not sure how it would hold up under the sun and I don't think you would want it to trap moisture between it and the wood deck.
Also, a piece of polyethylene carpeting might work OK. Any grease spills, etc. could be easily hosed off.

RE: protecting deck from grill spills and splatter? - FS7 - 10-10-2018

I have never protected my deck from spills, and I've never had an issue. There should be no real splatter from grease unless you spill something on the way to the grill, but while cooking it shouldn't be an issue. Most grills have a catcher underneath anyway.

RE: protecting deck from grill spills and splatter? - tomsteve - 10-11-2018

(10-10-2018, 10:43 AM)goaliedad Wrote: I am wondering what, if anything, I should do to protect the deck from grease spills and splatter? 

move the grill to the lawn.
Smile

RE: protecting deck from grill spills and splatter? - vernonator - 10-11-2018

(10-10-2018, 08:22 PM)FS7 Wrote: I have never protected my deck from spills, and I've never had an issue. There should be no real splatter from grease unless you spill something on the way to the grill, but while cooking it shouldn't be an issue. Most grills have a catcher underneath anyway.

This...what are you cooking that is spraying that much out onto the deck? Or are you just being cautious? I would worry that anything you put down will (as others have said) trap moisture and damage the deck more than a bit of splatter....

RE: protecting deck from grill spills and splatter? - rlnguy - 10-11-2018

I have mine parked on one of those metal pans used under an old car to catch oil drips.
PO of my house left behind. It is easy to roll the grill on/off,  if need be, and catches anything that manages to drip out the bottom of the grill.

RE: protecting deck from grill spills and splatter? - goaliedad - 10-11-2018

I was just being cautious. Maybe overly so.

For now I will just watch things and see if it is an issue

RE: protecting deck from grill spills and splatter? - srv52761 - 10-11-2018

Our under mounted  factory provided grease catcher is pretty small and we seldom remembered to address it.  It is  proprietary sized, so we had to clean it out to reuse it. I rigged up a holder to accommodate one of those disposable broiler pans.  Only have to worry about it every now and then, and I just pitch and replace.