Woodnet Forums
Drop in sink with granite countertop - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Drop in sink with granite countertop (/showthread.php?tid=7343648)

Pages: 1 2 3

Drop in sink with granite countertop - DogwoodTales - 10-14-2018

Can a drop in sink be installed with a granite countertop?
What concerns should I look out for if this is a viable option?
Thanks

RE: Drop in sink with granite countertop - Stwood_ - 10-14-2018

Yes. Just seal it up with the normal sink sealer, which is basically silicone. Should be no problems

RE: Drop in sink with granite countertop - Mr_Mike - 10-14-2018

But, if you are paying for granite, I think it is short sighted to not go all the way and do an undermount sink.

RE: Drop in sink with granite countertop - KC - 10-14-2018

(10-14-2018, 01:45 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: But, if you are paying for granite, I think it is short sighted to not go all the way and do an undermount sink.

I'll be the first (and maybe only one) to disagree.  Whoever installed my undermount did a sloppy job that irritates me everyday.  I see no advantage whatever to an undermount, and at least one big one to a drop in... it's easier to replace if you need/want do.

RE: Drop in sink with granite countertop - Snipe Hunter - 10-14-2018

Be careful what you seal the rim with. Some things will stain granite. Check around to see what doesn't mess with it. I made the mistake of using plumbers putty under a faucet.

RE: Drop in sink with granite countertop - Snipe Hunter - 10-14-2018

Second thought... I used clear silicon to adhere a granite backsplash, no issues with it.

RE: Drop in sink with granite countertop - Mr_Mike - 10-14-2018

(10-14-2018, 02:52 PM)KC Wrote: I'll be the first (and maybe only one) to disagree.  Whoever installed my undermount did a sloppy job that irritates me everyday.  I see no advantage whatever to an undermount, and at least one big one to a drop in... it's easier to replace if you need/want do.

Not the fault of the Granite.

RE: Drop in sink with granite countertop - DogwoodTales - 10-14-2018

granted that undermount is more common with a granite top, but I don’t see a drop in as short sited.
But one thing for sure is that whichever install I go with will probably be the only way to mount a replacement sink if ever needed.
I’ve heard from others that the seal to their undermount sink failed at some point and they regretted getting it and wished they did a drop in.
I don’t know who they had for an installer though. I know the local company I’m going through for this will ensure a quality install. I’ll have to check on what guarantee they include specifically.
I Was kinda thinking about reusing the sink I have, which is a drop in that we had with our Formica counter top.
The rep at the kitchen supplier said that a drop in can’t be done on the granite. I disagree, but didn’t say that to her just yet (it was just a quick visit to the showroom) and honestly I’m not well versed with this particular subject .. and so I’m here to get more edjumacated;-)
As it is the Department of Domestic Affairs prefers a new, undermount sink so that’s probably what we’ll end up going with. But she doesn’t like the prices for these new sinks and that may come into play as well.
At any rate, thank you for the replies.

Any suggestions on venturing into the world of an undermount sink? Perhaps what questions to ask to ensure we’re going to get a good seal that won’t fail?

RE: Drop in sink with granite countertop - Bob10 - 10-14-2018

(10-14-2018, 08:33 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: granted that undermount is more common with a granite top, but I don’t see a drop in as short sited.
But one thing for sure is that whichever install I go with will probably be the only way to mount a replacement sink if ever needed.
I’ve heard from others that the seal to their undermount sink failed at some point and they regretted getting it and wished they did a drop in.
I don’t know who they had for an installer though. I know the local company I’m going through for this will ensure a quality install. I’ll have to check on what guarantee they include specifically.
I Was kinda thinking about reusing the sink I have, which is a drop in that we had with our Formica counter top.
The rep at the kitchen supplier said that a drop in can’t be done on the granite. I disagree, but didn’t say that to her just yet (it was just a quick visit to the showroom) and honestly I’m not well versed with this particular subject .. and so I’m here to get more edjumacated;-)
As it is the Department of Domestic Affairs prefers a new, undermount sink so that’s probably what we’ll end up going with. But she doesn’t like the prices for these new sinks and that may come into play as well.
At any rate, thank you for the replies.

Any suggestions on venturing into the world of an undermount sink? Perhaps what questions to ask to ensure we’re going to get a good seal that won’t fail?

This is one way to get it done and with thicker granite they can epoxy screws in it to hold the clamps but I prefer using wood.  Unscrew the clamps a bit use a blade to break the silicone seal and take it out replace with new if needed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDXerJOUFdc

RE: Drop in sink with granite countertop - blackhat - 10-14-2018

Do not hang a garburater from an undermount sink.