Woodnet Forums
Belsaw planer as a sander? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Belsaw planer as a sander? (/showthread.php?tid=7343715)

Belsaw planer as a sander? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 10-17-2018

Have any of you guys converted either of the 12" Belsaw planer models into the drum sander...and liked the way it worked?  I have the "newer" model, from the 80's; it's the one that was built with heavy stamped steel instead of cast iron.  I have zero need for it as a planer, but would really like a drum sander in my shop, and since I got this one dirt cheap, I'm thinking of converting it over.  

Your experience?

RE: Belsaw planer as a sander? - PedroOhare - 10-18-2018

I would guess the first thing to check would be to compare the rotational speed of the planer with what is ideal for a sander. No idea how easy it would be to change the speed on that Belsaw planer.

Pedro

RE: Belsaw planer as a sander? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 10-18-2018

I'm not concerned with the speed of the head; I'm interested in whether others have used it and liked it or disliked it.

RE: Belsaw planer as a sander? - stav - 10-18-2018

I have a Belsaw planer and until recently I had a Ryobi drum sander.  I can see how the Belsaw could do the job.  The Ryobi had a much larger drum head than the Belsaw. I guess all of that could be worked out so the feed rollers still pull the wood through.  Most drum sanders I have seen, had a belt that fed the work piece through though.

The Belsaw has a conversion kit that replaces the knives in the cutter head with an aluminum gib that holds the paper in place. The rubber feed rollers work the same.

http://www.belsaw.com/acc.htm

RE: Belsaw planer as a sander? - stav - 10-18-2018

Very cool. I was not aware that was out there.  Now I'm interested.

RE: Belsaw planer as a sander? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 10-19-2018

Can't give it a go yet--the guy who still sells parts for these old planers doesn't have the kits; he can't find anybody local to make them economically. He's trying to do it local, but says he might have to outsource to China for it. I'm on a waiting list for it.

Price for the aluminum gibs, slower pulley, and three rolls of paper is ~$96, so if it isn't *great* it won't be a total loss. I only paid $100 for the planer anyway. The motor inside is worth more than that!

RE: Belsaw planer as a sander? - stav - 10-19-2018

Not bad. I got mine on ebay for $38. Guess no one wanted to bid on a heavy machine you had to pick up in Tampa.