Woodnet Forums
Breadboard Ends - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Breadboard Ends (/showthread.php?tid=7343979)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Breadboard Ends - Elijah A. - 10-31-2018

I've had some time off work so there has been about an hour everyday when the kids are napping that I can still go down and make some shavings
Smile

it is red oak. I want to do the breadboard ends for stability but I also want to do them for aesthetics. Thank you all for your suggestions!

RE: Breadboard Ends - Hank Knight - 10-31-2018

If you don't get a nice, crisp shoulder joint, go back and undercut the tenon shoulder just a hair (technical term there - no more than a couple of degrees). Then the shoulder should meet perfectly.

RE: Breadboard Ends - Derek Cohen - 10-31-2018

(10-29-2018, 04:56 PM)Elijah A. Wrote: Hey, I am building a table and I want to do breadboard ends by hand. I am planning to use a cross cut back saw to establish the edge and chisel out the waste cleaning up with a router plane. I do not own a shoulder plane or any type of rabbeting plane. Is it possible to clean up the 90 degree angle without a shoulder plane? I don't mind buying a tool but I'm open to ideas on how to clean up the 90 without owning a shoulder plane. Thx!
Eli

Hi Eli

You can also clean up the shoulder with a cutting gauge (such as a wheel gauge). This is a stopped rebate, with waste sawn on both sides ...

[Image: ApothecaryChestWeekendThree_html_m1fcf4cff.jpg]

[Image: ApothecaryChestWeekendThree_html_mbfe42b2.jpg]

[Image: ApothecaryChestWeekendThree_html_md0e5641.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Breadboard Ends - hbmcc - 10-31-2018

(10-31-2018, 06:22 AM)Elijah A. Wrote: I've had some time off work so there has been about an hour everyday when the kids are napping that I can still go down and make some shavings
Smile

it is red oak. I want to do the breadboard ends for stability but I also want to do them for aesthetics. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Hah!! I was pretty busy the first year, or so, when the kid showed up. I think that was my most productive as a beaver. I didn't waste time playing designer. 

I don't work with oak--it's not local--but, yah, you need breadboards.

RE: Breadboard Ends - Robert Hazelwood - 10-31-2018

A long paring block, set accurately to gauge lines, would be the way to go if you don't have a rabbet or shoulder plane. If you have more than ~1/32" of material to remove, do it in stages. Use a skewing motion with the chisel.

Paring blocks are tedious but very effective.

RE: Breadboard Ends - spowers - 11-04-2018

(10-31-2018, 04:11 PM)Robert Hazelwood Wrote: A long paring block, set accurately to gauge lines, would be the way to go if you don't have a rabbet or shoulder plane.  If you have more than ~1/32" of material to remove, do it in stages.  Use a skewing motion with the chisel.

A shoulder plane is a pretty useful tool for a variety of tasks, not just shoulders.  Whether used or new, you might want to invest in one.

RE: Breadboard Ends - Skip J. - 11-05-2018

(10-31-2018, 04:11 PM)Robert Hazelwood Wrote: A long paring block, set accurately to gauge lines, would be the way to go if you don't have a rabbet or shoulder plane.  If you have more than ~1/32" of material to remove, do it in stages.  Use a skewing motion with the chisel.

Hello Robert;

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!

RE: Breadboard Ends - rwe2156 - 11-05-2018

A dado clean up bit or short pattern bit with a straight guide will do a good jot of cleaning up the shoulders.

RE: Breadboard Ends - bandit571 - 11-05-2018

Find a Stanley #78...retract the nicker....it will do the entire job.    IF you go across the grain, rotate the nicker down....it will cut a fine, 90 degree rebate....as long as you hold the plane correctly.  

I do have a wood bodied, Auburn Tool Co. No. 181....skewed rebate plane.   But mainly, I just use either 78...or the Stanley 45.....surprised Derek isn't trying to sell the "latest, and greatest LV Combo plane"   

78s are easy enough to find...and use..
[attachment=14184]
Had to run this around the backside of a door's raised panel...
[attachment=14185]
YMMV