Woodnet Forums
Sometimes that odd-ball tool - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Sometimes that odd-ball tool (/showthread.php?tid=7344276)

Pages: 1 2

Sometimes that odd-ball tool - Scoony - 11-10-2018

Sometimes that odd-ball tool can make life soooooo easy. I am currently making a small cabinet with some cherry ply. The issue is that I am using pieces from 3 different cherry play cut-offs and they are not the same thicknesses. The case was cut out with mostly power tools and the dadoes were cut on the TS, but to get the odd-ball sided ply shelves to fit, the side rabbet plane does the job in a few seconds. 

[attachment=14266]

RE: Sometimes that odd-ball tool - museumguy - 11-10-2018

Very cool. I would never have thought of that, now, where can I by one of those planes, hmmmmmmm

RE: Sometimes that odd-ball tool - Admiral - 11-10-2018

My 98 and 99 are two planes that I've never regretted buying, when you need them, you need them.

RE: Sometimes that odd-ball tool - DonSlaughter - 11-11-2018

(11-10-2018, 08:15 PM)Scoony Wrote: Sometimes that odd-ball tool can make life soooooo easy. I am currently making a small cabinet with some cherry ply. The issue is that I am using pieces from 3 different cherry play cut-offs and they are not the same thicknesses. The case was cut out with mostly power tools and the dadoes were cut on the TS, but to get the odd-ball sided ply shelves to fit, the side rabbet plane does the job in a few seconds. 

Can't count the times the 98 & 99 saved the day for me. Had mine for many years.

RE: Sometimes that odd-ball tool - Tony Z - 11-11-2018

Same with me. The pair were the first LN tools bought for me sooooooo long ago (at least a dozen years or more), and she also bought extra blades for each! I've used them on maybe a half dozen projects through the years, if even that, but life savers!

The extra blades? I might have just honed the originals once!

RE: Sometimes that odd-ball tool - Laid-Back - 11-11-2018

+1 My sister and BIL gave me a Veritas version from Lee Vally bout ten years ago. It was one of those tools I'd wouldn't have bought for myself but as many times it has saved the day if something was to happen to it, it would get replaced.

RE: Sometimes that odd-ball tool - Philip1231 - 11-11-2018

Don't forget their utility for sliding dovetails!

[attachment=14273]

RE: Sometimes that odd-ball tool - hbmcc - 11-11-2018

(11-10-2018, 09:24 PM)Admiral Wrote: My 98 and 99 are two planes that I've never regretted buying, when you need them, you need them.

Thing is, when you don't have them, you don't need them, because you use something else, or do a workaround. I'm still looking for a use for some of my tools. They remind me of a spill plane: I only need to start the fire once, since I don't smoke or have a fireplace.

RE: Sometimes that odd-ball tool - Scoony - 11-13-2018

(11-11-2018, 12:22 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Thing is, when you don't have them, you don't need them, because you use something else, or do a workaround.

Sure, I could have added another shim to the dado stack, but where is the fun in that. Just trying to post an uncommon hand tool getting put to use on a material not normally associated with hand tools.

RE: Sometimes that odd-ball tool - jgourlay - 11-19-2018

(11-13-2018, 08:17 AM)Scoony Wrote: Sure, I could have added another shim to the dado stack, but where is the fun in that. Just trying to post an uncommon hand tool getting put to use on a material not normally associated with hand tools.

I've had the same experience with this tool.  I've used it twice in maybe 10 years??  But the two times I did need it, saved me a few hours.