Woodnet Forums
Christmas presents for teachers? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Christmas presents for teachers? (/showthread.php?tid=7344295)

Christmas presents for teachers? - JSpill - 11-11-2018

I have three grandchildren in elementary school. It has been a tradition to give a present to their teacher at  Christmas. This year I would like to help them make a present using my mini lathe. They are 11, 9, and 7 years old, so I am looking for projects that they can handle with guidance. So far I'm thinking of pens and bottle stoppers. As a former teacher I can assure you that teachers need pens and wine. any other ideas will be appreciated.

RE: Christmas presents for teachers? - 6270_Productions - 11-11-2018

(11-11-2018, 12:22 PM)JSpill Wrote: I have three grandchildren in elementary school. It has been a tradition to give a present to their teacher at  Christmas. This year I would like to help them make a present using my mini lathe. They are 11, 9, and 7 years old, so I am looking for projects that they can handle with guidance. So far I'm thinking of pens and bottle stoppers. As a former teacher I can assure you that teachers need pens and wine. any other ideas will be appreciated.

Why would they need to close the bottle?

Don't they just drink it until it is empty?

Big Grin

I would probably go with a nice single bottle "wine rack".  That way they would have a bottle on standby.  I know it is not a lathe project, but they are easy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wine+bottle+holder&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiA-K2n98zeAhVGylMKHbemBh8Q_AUIEygC&biw=1600&bih=744

RE: Christmas presents for teachers? - MauleSkinner - 11-11-2018

At that age I would stay away from projects that require turning next to a metal bushing for sizing, like pen kits. Maybe find plastic bushings the right size, if you’re going that route.

RE: Christmas presents for teachers? - DFJarvie - 11-11-2018

Pens. Easy to make and you can round the blank and finish the ends. They can work on the rounded blank. My 6 and 11 year old helped me make some pens recently. 1/2 inch scraper is all you need. Get some extra tubes just in case.

RE: Christmas presents for teachers? - MichaelMouse - 11-12-2018

(11-11-2018, 12:22 PM)JSpill Wrote: I have three grandchildren in elementary school. It has been a tradition to give a present to their teacher at  Christmas. This year I would like to help them make a present using my mini lathe. They are 11, 9, and 7 years old, so I am looking for projects that they can handle with guidance. So far I'm thinking of pens and bottle stoppers. As a former teacher I can assure you that teachers need pens and wine. any other ideas will be appreciated.

Clean up some jars and lids, turn a wooden one you glue the old one in, if you like, or press-in type.  Fill with hard candy.  Lid and finials well within the capability of most new turners.  If you go with press-in, recommend O-rings in shallow grooves for seal.

RE: Christmas presents for teachers? - Big Dave - 11-12-2018

Being teachers, they may appreciate these.....

Dave

RE: Christmas presents for teachers? - crokett™ - 11-12-2018

Your grandkids are old enough to help make pens. They'll feel even more involved if you let them choose the blank and pen kit.