Woodnet Forums
Nova 1624-44-2 Lathe - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Nova 1624-44-2 Lathe (/showthread.php?tid=7344340)

Pages: 1 2

Nova 1624-44-2 Lathe - Derek Cohen - 11-13-2018

I am considering a Nova 1624-44-2. It's a step up from my Jet mini (with bed extension), which has been used primarily for chair and table legs and spindles, which I have used for about 10 years. The Jet is underpowered (at 1/2 hp) for long lengths, especially the hardwood I work. I also have a yen to turn bowls, and the outboard feature of the Nova seems ideal in this regard. However it will need a bed extension for spindle work.

Now I really do not know too much about lathes, and want to know whether I would regret getting one without variable speed. Also, is there a better alternative to this Nova? This is the price range I can manage.

Your thoughts?

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Nova 1624-44-2 Lathe - badwhiskey - 11-13-2018

(11-13-2018, 07:01 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I am considering a Nova 1624-44-2. It's a step up from my Jet mini (with bed extension), which has been used primarily for chair and table legs and spindles, which I have used for about 10 years. The Jet is underpowered (at 1/2 hp) for long lengths, especially the hardwood I work. I also have a yen to turn bowls, and the outboard feature of the Nova seems ideal in this regard. However it will need a bed extension for spindle work.

Now I really do not know too much about lathes, and want to know whether I would regret getting one without variable speed. Also, is there a better alternative to this Nova? This is the price range I can manage.

Your thoughts?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have a 1624-44, but not the 2.  I also wanted the variable speed, but haven't missed it.  I don't change speeds much and adjusting the belts is pretty quick on this lathe.  I don't turn outboard very often, but it's nice when you need it.  Historically, Woodcraft would put it on a really good sale once or twice a year.  Don't know if they still do that.

RE: Nova 1624-44-2 Lathe - Arlin Eastman - 11-13-2018

(11-13-2018, 07:01 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I am considering a Nova 1624-44-2. It's a step up from my Jet mini (with bed extension), which has been used primarily for chair and table legs and spindles, which I have used for about 10 years. The Jet is underpowered (at 1/2 hp) for long lengths, especially the hardwood I work. I also have a yen to turn bowls, and the outboard feature of the Nova seems ideal in this regard. However it will need a bed extension for spindle work.

Your thoughts?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek

I would say if all you wish to do was table legs or other spindle work then a belted drive would be great to use, however when you start getting into bowl or even off sided bowls you should really have the DVR Nova which has no belts and variable speed.

Bowls over 9" up to 16" if not roughed out need to start on lower speeds of 250 to 300 and sometimes less if a bandsaw has not been used to cut off the excessive weight to make it more in balance.  You can turn it up after you get it in balance.

Most belted drives that are not variable speed start around 500rpm and that is to me really fast and will shake the lathe and anything connected to it to move all over the place.

I know Nova is from Austraila but made in China and they did have ALOT of problems for the first year or two but have not heard of anything bad since them.

Also their chucks are pretty good to.  Me I love the Axminister Evolution chucks make in England a ton and sold all the rest of my chucks just to get two more of the chucks and two more sets of Jaws.
Then to sharpen I would get the Oneway Wolverine sharpening system for the grinder and I also love it to.  Fast, accurate, and repeatable every time.  Last is tools for the lathe and it depends on how good you are at sharpening lathe tools you can get the better tools like Thompson or D-Way (Which I really want) or Sorby is another good one or just OK M2 to start out with.

Hope it helps

RE: Nova 1624-44-2 Lathe - Cliff Ober - 11-13-2018

(11-13-2018, 07:01 PM)neDerek Cohen Wrote: I am considering a Nova 1624-44-2. It's a step up from my Jet mini (with bed extension), which has been used primarily for chair and table legs and spindles, which I have used for about 10 years. The Jet is underpowered (at 1/2 hp) for long lengths, especially the hardwood I work. I also have a yen to turn bowls, and the outboard feature of the Nova seems ideal in this regard. However it will need a bed extension for spindle work.

Your thoughts?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Hi Derek,

I purchased that same Nova lathe about three years ago as an upgrade fron the Jet mini and have no regrets whatsoever about it. I looked at several different mid-size lathes when I was interested in upgrading but was really put off by the prices; the Nova interested me as a high quality tool with good reviews from several web sources and it was reasonably priced. I really lucked out with a terrific price for it when one of the chain WW stores here in the states was liquidating overstock via eBay.

Turning is not my primary interest even though I do enjoy it. My desire for a larger machine was as you describe as the need for greater capacity. It has served admirably and I have found no need (or particular desire) for the variable speed capability. Yes, the belt change process takes a bit of extra time, but that's what all lathes were like until not too many years ago. It didn't really seen to bother anyone until the new VS feature became available; now a lot of folks seem to feel it's a necessity. One aspect of the belt/pulley system that few consider is its' simplicity. The electronics does come with the potential for failure that can be costly to repair (and I say that as a 40 year electronics design engineer).

I'm very happy with what I feel is a high quality tool that so far has done everything I've needed. I did add the out-board accessory but have not yet used it, and I agree that the bed extension is a necessity. I have no need or interest in the "swing-away" feature for the bed. My feeling is it's an expensive gadget with little justification.

I doubt you'll regret going with the Nova; in my opinion it's a high quality machine that'a pleasure to use, and it comes at a good price point.

Good luck!

RE: Nova 1624-44-2 Lathe - Wildwood - 11-14-2018

You are looking at spending $1,500+ for that lathe with bed extension.

This lathe same as Jet 1642 for just little more but do need 220V.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-16-x-42-Variable-Speed-Wood-Lathe/G0632Z

The manual for G0643Z same as Jet, with exception of speed range and 220V, and 25 mm tool rest post, know because read it and own a 110V Jet 1642.

RE: Nova 1624-44-2 Lathe - MichaelMouse - 11-14-2018

(11-13-2018, 09:19 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Derek

I would say if all you wish to do was table legs or other spindle work then a belted drive would be great to use, however when you start getting into bowl or even off sided bowls you should really have the DVR Nova which has no belts and variable speed.
SNIP
I've got the grandpa - a NOVA 3000, which has 8 RPM selections, of which I use two.  I sometimes rough at the 360, but more often use 620 start to finish.  It has a 180, but I have only used that a few times.  RPM selection is a safety concern, not nearly as important as secure mounting, but a sloppy bandsawn or undercut blank may be turned at 600 with no problems when supported between centers.  Outboard wants better rounding and perhaps that 300 RPM to start.  
Having mechanical drive allows we US types to use 120V, because it's more efficient than non-DVR constantly variable RPM types.   I swing capacity (16X10) blanks no problem with the 1HP rated standard motor.
Feed rate is what makes a turning right, not rotation.  So using your muscle memory properly trumps that dial or those buttons.  When the shavings flow, you've got the proper rate.  The wood will let you know how it wishes to be cut.  No sense having to vary your feed rate to fit a change in rotational velocity, as I see it.
Don't buy a stand if you don't have to.  Wastes a lot of precious floor space which could be better employed to store other stuff.

RE: Nova 1624-44-2 Lathe - Derek Cohen - 11-14-2018

Thanks for all the comments so far. Looking at the possibility for variable speed, the other option is the Nova DVR Saturn. Clearly dearer, but certainly a step up from the 1624-44-2 in all respects. Any users here?

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Nova 1624-44-2 Lathe - Arlin Eastman - 11-14-2018

Do they even offer Jet/Powermatic in Australia?

RE: Nova 1624-44-2 Lathe - DFJarvie - 11-14-2018

I am a big VS speed proponent, if not full VS at least partial. I have the Jet 1014 and you have VS at high low and med. My PM has full VS high and low so you can turn them lower the speed to sand. It’s very convenient.

RE: Nova 1624-44-2 Lathe - Derek Cohen - 11-14-2018

(11-14-2018, 05:28 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Do they even offer Jet/Powermatic in Australia?

Arlin, the only Jet I find available in Oz is the Midi. As far as I can tell, PM lathes are not available here at all. Many of the Chinese clones of these lathes instead.

Regards from Perth

Derek