Woodnet Forums
Stuck Moen Posi-Temp cartridge - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Stuck Moen Posi-Temp cartridge (/showthread.php?tid=7344462)

Stuck Moen Posi-Temp cartridge - spazlab - 11-19-2018

Trying to remove cartridge from a 17 years old single handle Moen Posi-Temp shower valve.  Seems to be stuck like a SOB.  Any tricks?  Read the instructions,  watched the video, don't think I am missing anything.

RE: Stuck Moen Posi-Temp cartridge - Phil Thien - 11-19-2018

This last one or two episodes of Ask This Old House showed Richard the plumber using a special puller to get a cartridge loose.

RE: Stuck Moen Posi-Temp cartridge - spazlab - 11-19-2018

(11-19-2018, 02:03 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: This last one or two episodes of Ask This Old House showed Richard the plumber using a special puller to get a cartridge loose.

I'll look.  I tried one of these 

[Image: danco-other-accessories-86712-64_145.jpg]

RE: Stuck Moen Posi-Temp cartridge - Phil Thien - 11-19-2018

Hopefully something like this isn't in your future:

RE: Stuck Moen Posi-Temp cartridge - spazlab - 11-19-2018

(11-19-2018, 02:27 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Hopefully something like this isn't in your future:

Yeah,  I saw a bunch of horror stories.  I'm pretty sure a plumber could get it out.  Just lack of experience.

RE: Stuck Moen Posi-Temp cartridge - Roly - 11-19-2018

I used the 1/2" tap and a long threaded bolt then a 1/2" drive socket which allows the bolt to go through the socket and a nut on the bolt to tighten and pull out the cartridge body.  works good but I would also suggest some grease on the tap to catch the metal chips.   Don't try to drill out the cartridge like a plumber did next door and ruined the valve body.  Roly

RE: Stuck Moen Posi-Temp cartridge - MstrCarpenter - 11-21-2018

Call Moen. Tell them how much you love their products and you have (maybe not yet) newer ones in your other baths and kitchen. They'll talk you thru getting it apart and will send you replacement parts (usually free) if you need them.