Woodnet Forums
Woodworking Gloves - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Woodworking Gloves (/showthread.php?tid=7344604)

Pages: 1 2

Woodworking Gloves - Smoothjazz077 - 11-26-2018

I have an outdoor shop in my detached garage, which has limited heating.  I am able to heat the shop enough to do some woodworking, but on the really cold days, my fingers always feel cold.  I do 90% of my work with hand tools, and was inquiring if anyone had any suggestions for gloves to use in the shop.  I would never wear gloves when using power tools.  I am looking for something like a carvers glove, but that provides some warmth.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Scott

RE: Woodworking Gloves - enjuneer - 11-26-2018

(11-26-2018, 09:41 AM)Smoothjazz077 Wrote: I have an outdoor shop in my detached garage, which has limited heating.  I am able to heat the shop enough to do some woodworking, but on the really cold days, my fingers always feel cold.  I do 90% of my work with hand tools, and was inquiring if anyone had any suggestions for gloves to use in the shop.  I would never wear gloves when using power tools.  I am looking for something like a carvers glove, but that provides some warmth.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Scott

I like Maxiflex Ultimate gloves. They fit well and the nitrile coated palm provides good grip on tools. 

I buy them on eBay

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

RE: Woodworking Gloves - barryvabeach - 11-26-2018

I buy gloves at HD,  sometimes you can find some on clearance, or a set on sale.  I used to buy all leather gloves, but find the ones that have some leather, and look more like mechanic gloves, are more flexible.   Not sure how warm they are , but would certainly be better than nothing.   I would try them on and see what feels good to you.

RE: Woodworking Gloves - Rob Young - 11-27-2018

This is the brand we used when working outdoors at the South Pole and had to deal with small nuts and bolts.

https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-Warmers-Odorless-Activated/dp/B0007ZF4OA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543329716&sr=8-3&keywords=hothands

These plus a good leather finger-tipped mechanics glove goes a long way. Just don't accidentally soak your gloves in glycol and expect them to keep your hands warm after that...

RE: Woodworking Gloves - Phil S. - 11-27-2018

I have a pair of Firm Grip gloves I like - the general purpose model.  I got them at HD, but checking their website, it looks like they have changed.  The ones there have a lot of bright yellow on them while mine are grey and black.  I'm not sure if anything else has changed.  They fit my hand well, snug with no extra material, and a secure fastening around the wrist that I like.  Padded palm and knuckles with a leather face and sturdy fabric backs.

Phil

RE: Woodworking Gloves - adamcherubini - 11-27-2018

We wear mechanix gloves for carpentry.
https://www.mechanix.com/men/automotive
I think they work for most of the things we do.

RE: Woodworking Gloves - Snipe Hunter - 11-29-2018

Scott, I work outside most of the time and with a lot of water but can still work at about 30 degrees. The cold stinks but I can dress for it. The biggest problem is my face and hands but more so my hands. I really can't wear warm gloves, A: because they'll get wet and B: because I can't perform my job quickly or well with gloves on. It doesn't take long working in cold dry weather before my hands start cracking.. painful stuff and it's a long winter..
I watch the harbor freight sales on the disposable Blue Nitrile gloves and wear them all winter. They cut the wind and don't allow my hands to dry out. I try to buy them at $4.99 but have a coupon in my wallet for $5.99. They run $14.99 at HD and don't see much of a quality difference. The HD ones are made in China too. They aren't as warm as winter gloves but they're a lot better than no gloves. If I run out, it only takes a couple hours to ruin my hands for a week or two.

RE: Woodworking Gloves - cputnam - 11-30-2018

Long shot: Would photographer's gloves work for you? They are regular gloves without fingertips.

RE: Woodworking Gloves - Mike Brady - 11-30-2018

Gloves are generally not recommended for machinery operation where the glove might get caught in the rotating parts.  Think of a glove snagging a tooth of a table saw blade and pulling your hand into the blade. 
Rolleyes

RE: Woodworking Gloves - Bruce Haugen - 12-01-2018

(11-30-2018, 08:07 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Gloves are generally not recommended for machinery operation where the glove might get caught in the rotating parts.  Think of a glove snagging a tooth of a table saw blade and pulling your hand into the blade. 
Rolleyes

While this is true, my hands are exceptionally dry.  On a warm day, the shop temp is 30 F.  There is a much greater risk of my hands slipping and running into a blade than there is of them getting caught when wearing gloves.  Besides, my TS is a Sawstop.