Woodnet Forums
bandsaw blade took a bite out of me - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: bandsaw blade took a bite out of me (/showthread.php?tid=7344714)

Pages: 1 2

bandsaw blade took a bite out of me - gear jammer - 11-30-2018

Opened a box with a new bandsaw blade, cut the quick ties  and the thing slipped away from me. Uncoiled and landed right above my glove and slid about 5 inches up my arm to my jacket. Left 3 nicely bleeding scratches. If I leave out the swear words I didn't say a thing about it. Just went to the house for bandages and a lecture from my wife about being more careful.

RE: bandsaw blade took a bite out of me - FrankAtl - 11-30-2018

Yep, they're easy to lose a fight with!

RE: bandsaw blade took a bite out of me - Large Wooden Badger - 11-30-2018

at least it appears to be sharp.

RE: bandsaw blade took a bite out of me - Stwood_ - 11-30-2018

I always keep one gloved hand wrapped around the blade while undoing the ties. I've been gotten before, handling 1-1/4"x 13'-2" bandmill blades.

RE: bandsaw blade took a bite out of me - FrankAtl - 12-01-2018

Hell, I wear gloves on both hands and safety glasses! I had a resaw king get away from me once trying to fold it. It didn't get me but I was dancing around the shop trying to stay away from it till it stopped bouncing around!

RE: bandsaw blade took a bite out of me - Mike67 - 12-01-2018

(11-30-2018, 04:02 PM)gear jammer Wrote: Opened a box with a new bandsaw blade, cut the quick ties  and the thing slipped away from me. Uncoiled and landed right above my glove and slid about 5 inches up my arm to my jacket. Left 3 nicely bleeding scratches. If I leave out the swear words I didn't say a thing about it. Just went to the house for bandages and a lecture from my wife about being more careful.

Ouch! Those things are a PITA. I like to wear long sleeves, gloves, and a face shield until I get a new blade uncoiled. And do something nice for somebody first so you have some karma on your side.
One instructor I took a class with years ago would carefully take off the ties and then throw the coiled blade on the floor a few feet away. It would uncoil and slither around on the floor. Worked for him but the shop floor there was wood. My shop space is the garage with a concrete floor - probably not great for a blade.

RE: bandsaw blade took a bite out of me - Gary G™ - 12-01-2018

I wear gloves and throw them out on the grass or the wood shop floor.

RE: bandsaw blade took a bite out of me - Stwood_ - 12-01-2018

(12-01-2018, 10:24 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: I wear gloves and throw them out on the grass

I've done that before. Some blades just seem to be a snake, and wanting a piece of you
Laugh

RE: bandsaw blade took a bite out of me - Gary G™ - 12-01-2018

Yep; I had a carbide tipped 124” 1” 3tpi blade rip my shirt sleeve.

Laugh

RE: bandsaw blade took a bite out of me - MichaelMouse - 12-02-2018

(11-30-2018, 05:21 PM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: at least it appears to be sharp.

Even the dull ones have bitten me when coiling.