Woodnet Forums
Toilet Fill Valve - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Toilet Fill Valve (/showthread.php?tid=7344958)

Pages: 1 2

Toilet Fill Valve - Willyou - 12-11-2018

It seems that no matter what brand or type of toilet fill valve I install, they only last a year or two. I just installed a type I hadn't noticed before. Not sure what to call it. It is a small unit that fits to the water inlet at the bottom of the tank. it has no float. It somehow measures the volume of water and shuts off. Water level is adjustable by turning a small knob. So far, I like it. It fills fast and is relatively quiet. Does anyone have long term experience with one of these? How did it hold up?

RE: Toilet Fill Valve - Wildwood - 12-11-2018

Could you identify that bad boy from looking at pictures here?

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Plumbing-Parts-Repair-Toilet-Parts-Repair-Fill-Valves/N-5yc1vZckh9

RE: Toilet Fill Valve - Roly - 12-11-2018

(12-11-2018, 10:47 AM)Willyou Wrote: It seems that no matter what brand or type of toilet fill valve I install, they only last a year or two. I just installed a type I hadn't noticed before. Not sure what to call it. It is a small unit that fits to the water inlet at the bottom of the tank. it has no float. It somehow measures the volume of water and shuts off. Water level is adjustable by turning a small knob. So far, I like it. It fills fast and is relatively quiet. Does anyone have long term experience with one of these? How did it hold up?

Have you tested your water pressure ?  If it is over 80 lbs/sq. in. that could be the issue.   Roly

RE: Toilet Fill Valve - Willyou - 12-11-2018

(12-11-2018, 11:39 AM)Wildwood Wrote: Could you identify that bad boy from looking at pictures here?

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Plumbing-Parts-Repair-Toilet-Parts-Repair-Fill-Valves/N-5yc1vZckh9

Looks like it is this one.

Rolly, I'm not having any problems with it. Just wondering if anyone else has used one and how long I can expect it to last. Also, to let others know that it seems like a good product; easy to install and quiet.

RE: Toilet Fill Valve - Phil Thien - 12-11-2018

(12-11-2018, 10:47 AM)Willyou Wrote: It seems that no matter what brand or type of toilet fill valve I install, they only last a year or two. I just installed a type I hadn't noticed before. Not sure what to call it. It is a small unit that fits to the water inlet at the bottom of the tank. it has no float. It somehow measures the volume of water and shuts off. Water level is adjustable by turning a small knob. So far, I like it. It fills fast and is relatively quiet. Does anyone have long term experience with one of these? How did it hold up?

I had one.  Hate to tell you this, but it only lasted a year or two.

I can generally get about 5-10 years out of a Fluidmaster, which is what I'm back to using.

When you think about it, it is a bit extraordinary that these plastic parts that are used fairly frequently can last as long as they do.

RE: Toilet Fill Valve - Woodworm! - 12-11-2018

I have a Korky going on 11 years without a problem.

(12-11-2018, 03:02 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I had one.  Hate to tell you this, but it only lasted a year or two.

I can generally get about 5-10 years out of a Fluidmaster, which is what I'm back to using.

When you think about it, it is a bit extraordinary that these plastic parts that are used fairly frequently can last as long as they do.
That's OK. Not a lot of expense involved. At least I won't be surprised when it goes. I haven't had any better service out of FluidMaster.

Quote:woodworm:
I have a Korky going on 11 years without a problem.

I'll keep that in mind for the next time or when the other toilet goes.

RE: Toilet Fill Valve - Stwood_ - 12-11-2018

(12-11-2018, 02:53 PM)Willyou Wrote: Looks like it is this one.

Rolly, I'm not having any problems with it. Just wondering if anyone else has used one and how long I can expect it to last. Also, to let others know that it seems like a good product; easy to install and quiet.

I've always wanted to try one of those. $9.44 at Amazon

RE: Toilet Fill Valve - mike4244 - 12-11-2018

I got tired of Fluiidmaster and the like. Went back to  the ball type fill valve. Original ball type lasted about 10 years, replaced the ball, brass rod and flapper once so far.
I'll stick to tried and true , no more fill valves for me. Fluid master would work for a year or two and then hang up sometimes. Got tired of fixing it.
mike

(12-11-2018, 08:45 PM)mike4244 Wrote: I got tired of Fluiidmaster and the like. Went back to  the ball type fill valve. Original ball type lasted about 10 years, replaced the ball, brass rod and flapper once so far.
I'll stick to tried and true , no more fill valves for me. Fluid master would work for a year or two and then hang up sometimes. Got tired of fixing it.
mike

Hate to tell you, but that is exactly what I did the last time and the ball float type only lasted, at most, 2 years. That is what I just replaced. Next time, I'll try the Korky.