Woodnet Forums
VFD and Powermatic Feeder - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: VFD and Powermatic Feeder (/showthread.php?tid=7345145)

VFD and Powermatic Feeder - jeffss - 12-19-2018

Just now starting on the VFD for the Powermatic feeder. I understand I should bypass the switch and hardwire to the 3 phase motor. When I took off the switch cover I saw 6 wires coming from the motor. 3 red and 3 white. Numbered 1-6. Powermatic manual not much help. I'll research more tomorrow. In the mean time, any insight would help.

RE: VFD and Powermatic Feeder - jeffss - 12-20-2018

More info..... wires 123 white and 456 red. Dual rpms 3450/1720. Just looking to wire high speed and 1 direction.

RE: VFD and Powermatic Feeder - TDKPE - 12-20-2018

(12-20-2018, 09:00 AM)jeffss Wrote: More info..... wires 123 white and 456 red. Dual rpms 3450/1720. Just looking to wire high speed and 1 direction.

Sounds like a consequent-pole motor from the 2:1 speed ratio with 6 leads.  Don't see that a lot, though I used some on a three drum crane hoist system 30 years ago.  60 hp each, if memory serves.  This one, ugly as sin, on the Bonneville Navigation Lock and Dam, in fact.  
Laugh 

[attachment=15133]

How to connect may be a bit tricky, as it in part depends on how it's internally connected.*  But here's a diagram of a 2-speed consequent pole motor connected for both speeds.  Which wires are white and which are red I couldn't say without playing with it though. I would have to guess that T1-T3 are one color, and T4-T6 are the other color.

[attachment=15134]

*By way of clarification, series-connected may be high or low speed, with parallel being the other speed. It just depends on how it was wound, and without documentation I don't think there's any easy way to know without testing, but I believe parallel connection is usually low speed. I can check to see if I still have the original power and control drawings for those crane motors, under a pile of cobwebs and dust.