Woodnet Forums
Tree identification help - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Tree identification help (/showthread.php?tid=7345284)

Pages: 1 2

Tree identification help - Duane N - 12-28-2018

I wasn't sure where to put this but if this end up being an Oak tree I will be making something out of it...sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum.

I'm fairly certain this is an Oak because I cut part of a limb and it smelled like Oak but the canopy of the tree where it's laying on the ground had a bunch of gumballs around it (there are standing gumballs where this tree is laying on the ground). 

[attachment=15282]

[attachment=15283]

Thank you for any help.

RE: Tree identification help - Stwood_ - 12-28-2018

Very possible it's oak. Slice an inch off the end there to get some fresh meat showing and I can tell better.
However the bark looks like another species to me.

RE: Tree identification help - Duane N - 12-28-2018

[attachment=15287]

[attachment=15288]

[attachment=15289]

Thanks for the help.....

RE: Tree identification help - Stwood_ - 12-28-2018

Looks to be infested with timber worms.
Have you seen any yellow or white worms in it?

RE: Tree identification help - ajkoontz - 12-28-2018

Oaks don't have gumballs, but sweet gums do. Liquidambar styraciflua is my guess.

RE: Tree identification help - Gary G™ - 12-28-2018

Sweet gum?!? ......

RE: Tree identification help - Timberwolf - 12-28-2018

(12-28-2018, 12:21 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: Oaks don't have gumballs, but sweet gums do. Liquidambar styraciflua is my guess.

This....a leaf pic could confirm it.

(12-28-2018, 11:56 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Looks to be infested with timber worms.
Have you seen any yellow or white worms in it?

No, but all I grabbed was a log someone had cut off of the tree.  There is a bit of rot in one of the upper limbs because of a limb was removed a while ago and there was a hole in the limb of the tree.  The base is also rotted and why the tree came down in the first place but I plan on cutting that off.

I may pass on this....a lot of work just to get a long I just hate seeing something go into a fireplace.  I have to drag the log 75' to my trailer without tearing up the grass.

(12-28-2018, 12:50 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
This....a leaf pic could confirm it.

That's the problem....no leafs on the tree and there are other trees around it so I have no idea.

(12-28-2018, 12:21 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: Oaks don't have gumballs, but sweet gums do. Liquidambar styraciflua is my guess.

I'm leaning towards a sweet gum...apparently it has a turpentine smell when cut just like oaks.  The pastor of the church said it was an oak and it smells like oak when I cut part of it.