Woodnet Forums
Yarn Bowl - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Yarn Bowl (/showthread.php?tid=7345343)

Pages: 1 2

Yarn Bowl - handi - 12-30-2018

My daughter recently took up knitting so mywife asked me to make her a yarn bowl for Christmas. 
I had a Cedar blank, so off I went. 
Cutting the cedar round on my bandsaw looked like cutting a ham, the grain was very nice.
Turning the bowl was simple. Cutting the hook opening for the yarn, not so much. Rotary tool was too aggressive. Ended up using a coping saw, little short strokes inside the 6” diameter bowl.

[attachment=15315]
[attachment=15312]
[attachment=15314]

RE: Yarn Bowl - Gary G™ - 12-30-2018

Inside of the cutout looks good from here.

RE: Yarn Bowl - handi - 12-30-2018

(12-30-2018, 04:44 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Inside of the cutout looks good from here.

An assortment of small, shaped files helps!

RE: Yarn Bowl - chips ahoy - 12-30-2018

A buddy of mine makes a lot of those.His wife is a knitter and they do a lot of craft shows,so they sell well.He uses various woods,that cedar looks great.He also uses a coping saw.Nice job.

Mel

RE: Yarn Bowl - Woodworm! - 12-30-2018

Sometimes a hand tool trumps a power tool.

RE: Yarn Bowl - handi - 12-31-2018

(12-30-2018, 07:09 PM)Woodworm! Wrote: Sometimes a hand tool trumps a power tool.

No doubt! I still hand fit mortise and tenon joints with a shoulder plane and just finished the next episode of Woodcademy, part of which shows using a card scraper.

If I do another of these, I may dig outmyJapanese keyhole saw!

RE: Yarn Bowl - Rodneywt1180b - 01-01-2019

The results were well worth the effort.  Great looking bowl.

RE: Yarn Bowl - WOODMAC - 01-08-2019

Which rotary tool did you try? Any recommended pattern for the shape of the groove? Did you drill the terminal hole?

RE: Yarn Bowl - Arlin Eastman - 01-08-2019

Looks great Ralph.

That is one of the reasons I love working with Red Ceder.  It has so many colors of purples, pinks, browns, blacks, tans, and the knots.  Fantastic looking wood to me.

RE: Yarn Bowl - handi - 01-13-2019

(01-08-2019, 07:04 PM)WOODMAC Wrote: Which rotary tool did you try? Any recommended pattern for the shape of the groove? Did you drill the terminal hole?

I have a Ryobi motto tool. A different bit might have been better, but the coping saw seems to be the best solution.

A “J” shaped pattern seems to be the most common. Mine started with a more pronounced ear hanging down into the curve of the J, but some got “lost” along the way.

Yes, I did drill a terminal hole first. Not sure if that is best, that is how the ear got lost, as the saw connected with the hole.