Woodnet Forums
Wall mounted lights-- recess boxes extra deep? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Wall mounted lights-- recess boxes extra deep? (/showthread.php?tid=7345592)

Pages: 1 2

Wall mounted lights-- recess boxes extra deep? - Cdshakes - 01-10-2019

So i currently have my bedroom down to the studs-- redoing my drywall-- walls had no insulation, redoing some electrical...etc.
My better half wants wall mounted wall lights like a hotel room would have.  We have purchased the lights below, which allow either hardwiring, or comes with a plug.  I will put boxes in the wall for a cleaner look.  The only concern I have is that we will be making that an accent-wall by attaching wood flooring to the wall, on top of the new drywall.  Should I recess the boxes for just the drywall, or should I leave them out further with the wood flooring in mind?  
I'm thinking about just recessing for the depth of the drywall, and then use extension rings-- just in case I want to remove the wood flooring from the wall in a few years--any thoughts/concerns about doing this?

[attachment=15567]

Colin

RE: Wall mounted lights-- recess boxes extra deep? - Splinter Puller - 01-10-2019

(01-10-2019, 11:06 AM)Cdshakes Wrote: So i currently have my bedroom down to the studs-- redoing my drywall-- walls had no insulation, redoing some electrical...etc.
My better half wants wall mounted wall lights like a hotel room would have.  We have purchased the lights below, which allow either hardwiring, or comes with a plug.  I will put boxes in the wall for a cleaner look.  The only concern I have is that we will be making that an accent-wall by attaching wood flooring to the wall, on top of the new drywall.  Should I recess the boxes for just the drywall, or should I leave them out further with the wood flooring in mind?  
I'm thinking about just recessing for the depth of the drywall, and then use extension rings-- just in case I want to remove the wood flooring from the wall in a few years--any thoughts/concerns about doing this?

Colin

Use an adjustable depth electrical box and move them in or out freely.

RE: Wall mounted lights-- recess boxes extra deep? - DaveR1 - 01-10-2019

(01-10-2019, 11:06 AM)Cdshakes Wrote: So i currently have my bedroom down to the studs-- redoing my drywall-- walls had no insulation, redoing some electrical...etc.

Colin

The boxes in our finished basement were set for sheetrock but we put up car siding instead. We had to put in spacer rings to in effect make the boxes deeper. They could certainly be removed if someone want to change out the car siding for sheetrock. I've not seen adjustable boxes so there's something to investigate.

RE: Wall mounted lights-- recess boxes extra deep? - CLETUS - 01-10-2019

(01-10-2019, 11:06 AM)Cdshakes Wrote:  

Yes, that will make life much easier for you or the next owner that tears out your accent wall.

RE: Wall mounted lights-- recess boxes extra deep? - Cdshakes - 01-10-2019

(01-10-2019, 11:57 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: Use an adjustable depth electrical box and move them in or out freely.

I originally said i hadn't seen these-- after a quick google search, i take that back--i have. but, are these available in round, or only for single/double gang?

Colin

RE: Wall mounted lights-- recess boxes extra deep? - joe1086 - 01-10-2019

Do the Google search again, but look at the 'Images' view. Lot's of options.

RE: Wall mounted lights-- recess boxes extra deep? - EdL - 01-10-2019

Check on the adjustable depth boxes at the borg, they might have enough travel.....

box linky

Ed

RE: Wall mounted lights-- recess boxes extra deep? - Snipe Hunter - 01-10-2019

Look at a 4-1/2" metal octagonal box. They'll support more weight.. particularly leverage like that lamp might induce when manipulated. The Octagonal boxes are for lights and should mate up with the bracket that comes with the lamp. The borg should have the box and the metal extender. You can also get one (at the borg) with an L bracket.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-City-4-in-1-1-2-in-Deep-Octagon-Box-with-L-Bracket-54151NL-25R/202601202

extension if needed.

RE: Wall mounted lights-- recess boxes extra deep? - MstrCarpenter - 01-10-2019

Your lights will most likely fit a 2" x 3" box as well as an octagon or round.

RE: Wall mounted lights-- recess boxes extra deep? - Cdshakes - 01-11-2019

(01-10-2019, 07:33 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Look at a 4-1/2" metal octagonal box. They'll support more weight.. particularly leverage like that lamp might induce when manipulated. The Octagonal boxes are for lights and should mate up with the bracket that comes with the lamp. The borg should have the box and the metal extender. You can also get one (at the borg) with an L bracket.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-City-4-in-1-1-2-in-Deep-Octagon-Box-with-L-Bracket-54151NL-25R/202601202

extension if needed.

wow, the extension is deep!  i would only need like 1/2" for the thickness of the flooring.