Woodnet Forums
Yellow mold in sheet goods - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Yellow mold in sheet goods (/showthread.php?tid=7345604)

Yellow mold in sheet goods - Bergie - 01-10-2019

Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience dealing with yellow mold? Last night I pulled a small piece of plywood from my sheet goods. Once I had it out, I noticed powdery yellow dust on the bottom 9 to 12 inches of the sheet. The sheets are leaned against concrete block wall in basement, but kept off the basement floor with blocks.

Any insights?

How dangerous?

How do I get rid of it?

Thanks,
Bergie

RE: Yellow mold in sheet goods - Stwood_ - 01-10-2019

Not yellow, but I've had/seen greenish mold on mine.
I just sand if off after cutting it up and assembling.

RE: Yellow mold in sheet goods - Bergie - 01-11-2019

(01-10-2019, 06:09 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Not yellow, but I've had/seen greenish mold on mine.
I just sand if off after cutting it up and assembling.

Thanks, but I'm not getting this stuff airborne. Probably going to attack it with bleach unless there's another recommendation.

RE: Yellow mold in sheet goods - rwe2156 - 01-11-2019

(01-11-2019, 08:15 AM)Bergie Wrote: Thanks, but I'm not getting this stuff airborne. Probably going to attack it with bleach unless there's another recommendation.

Probably a form of mildew, which isn't very harmful.  But you are wise not too breathe in any type of mold spore. 

I would spray it down with a dilute bleach solution first, then rip of the affected part and burn it.

RE: Yellow mold in sheet goods - daddo - 01-11-2019

Most likely isn't going to hurt you, but I spray it with vinegar and scrape it off. I've never had any problems with it. I see it in the yard sometimes and in old lumber.

RE: Yellow mold in sheet goods - Stwood_ - 01-11-2019

I'd be careful using bleach on wood, even heavily diluted. Get it to strong and may get some white spots.

RE: Yellow mold in sheet goods - Bergie - 01-11-2019

Thanks everyone! Great to hear this isn't a hazmat situation. 
Big Grin