Woodnet Forums
Lacquers - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Lacquers (/showthread.php?tid=7346206)

Lacquers - bmich - 02-04-2019

Hello,
Does anyone know if automotive lacquer will work on wood?  I am looking to build a stereo cabinet and lacquer the outside white and the inside of the cabinets bright orange or red.  I am thinking I would like to spray several coats of lacquer to build up a sheen. Has anyone done something like this in the past?

RE: Lacquers - Snipe Hunter - 02-04-2019

It will work but consider a high build primer first and sand the primer smooth with something like 400 grit. lacquer is applied with a wet coat so it should look good with one coat. If you can, use a white primer. Red always covers poorly so you'll need a few coats over white primer. It will take a lot more coats over a dark primer. Red looks muddy over dark primer.

RE: Lacquers - Willyou - 02-04-2019

Yes. It will.
[attachment=16275]

RE: Lacquers - bmich - 02-04-2019

wowzers. how many coats is that?

RE: Lacquers - Cooler - 02-05-2019

Plenty of videos on that subject:

https://www.google.com/search?q=automotive+finishes+on+wood&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwie2YSL2KTgAhWOg-AKHQjyBawQ_AUIECgD&biw=1334&bih=631

RE: Lacquers - Willyou - 02-05-2019

(02-04-2019, 10:14 PM)bmich Wrote: wowzers. how many coats is that?

The short answer is: I don't remember, but it was quit a few; Probably more than necessary. The back story is that my son gave me a turning blank. When I started turning it I found that it had a flaw in it. That's OK! It has character! However, it eventually shattered into three or four pieces and was ruined. However, because the block was a gift from my son, I didn't want to throw it away. So, I epoxied the pieces back together and filled any voids. Of course, after I finished turning it, it didn't look very good. So, I decided to paint it. I used several coats of auto primer, sanding in between until it was smooth, and then added probably 6-8 coats of rattle can auto lacquer sanding in between. Some of those coats were a result of trying to get the transition between colors the way I wanted it.

RE: Lacquers - bmich - 02-05-2019

Thanks for the info. does anyone know of a website or company that I can call to get everything I need. I really have no clue what is needed to mix and spray this kind of paint.

RE: Lacquers - rwe2156 - 02-07-2019

Lacquer is quite dangerous to use, as well as quite toxic and I wouldn't recommend any hobbyist use it.  If you're dead set on it,  please be aware of safety, as well as garding potential for exposure, infiltration in house, etc.

There are several other options that will work for your project. One suggestion is a waterborne pigmented lacquer available from Target Coatings.

It can be topcoated for more sheen if necessary.

RE: Lacquers - Snipe Hunter - 02-07-2019

(02-07-2019, 11:02 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Lacquer is quite dangerous to use, as well as quite toxic and I wouldn't recommend any hobbyist use it.  If you're dead set on it,  please be aware of safety, as well as garding potential for exposure, infiltration in house, etc.

There are several other options that will work for your project.  One suggestion is a waterborne pigmented lacquer available from Target Coatings.

It can be topcoated for more sheen if necessary.

+1

Wear a respirator like or similar to this.

As a professional painter I NEVER spray anything toxic indoors, not even in my garage. Also, there's a much bigger problem with dust indoors than you'll ever find outdoors.