Woodnet Forums
My kitchen remodel - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: My kitchen remodel (/showthread.php?tid=7346264)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: My kitchen remodel - oakey - 02-02-2020

Duane
Very nice is the final finish on that counter top. JUST general finish stain polyurethane ?
I am in the process of building a solid wood counter top for an island and so far have not decided how to. Finish it
I was kicking around using epoxy but I like your counter top a lot and I am afraid of making a big mess using epoxy for my first time
Could you detail how you finished yours (glaze Coats etc or just multi poly coats ?)
Really nice work. Man ship on the whole project

RE: My kitchen remodel - Duane N - 02-04-2020

(02-02-2020, 03:43 PM)oakey Wrote: Duane
Very nice is the final finish on that counter top. JUST  general finish stain polyurethane ?
I am in the process of building a solid wood counter top for an island and so far have not decided how to. Finish it
I was kicking  around using epoxy but I like your counter top a lot and I am afraid of making a big mess using epoxy for my first time
Could you detail how you finished yours (glaze Coats etc or just multi poly coats ?)
Really nice work. Man ship on the whole project

I used General Finishes Arm-R-Seal satin finish.  First coat was the sealer coat then 3 coats of the actual finish with light sanding (220 grit) between all the coats.  Each coat of the final finish uses less finish as the wood gets sealed. I like the finish because I could wipe it on with a cotton rag.  I waited 12 hours between coats before sanding and applying the next coat.

This is the finish I used.  The base coat came in a red can...not sure this sealer coat is necessary but I did it anyway.

[attachment=23796]

RE: My kitchen remodel - oakey - 02-04-2020

Duane
thanks much
i believe i will do the same i would hate to wreck a rather large project trying something new
i have used that same general finish a lot it is really durable
I like to try new stuff but i have spend a lot of hours on my counter top
i really like the way yours turned out