Woodnet Forums
Farm Table Build Along - FINISHED!! - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Farm Table Build Along - FINISHED!! (/showthread.php?tid=7346324)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Farm Table Build Along - FINISHED!! - camp10 - 02-09-2019

Hey all,

John's (Belle City Woodworking) beautiful table over at the Daily Bench thread got me motivated to start a thread about a table I'm making.  

My wife wants a long table for family dinners.  Somewhere near 9ft long and about 38 inches wide.  We looked at some pictures of different styles, and decided on a simple looking farm table.

We live on an old farm.  A few years ago, I built a desk out of reclaimed lumber, all from the farm.  It turned out nice, so now we're going bigger!  I'm going to try and make it entirely from wood found on the farm.

I've been looking at this beam for years.  It was just sitting unused in the rafters.  It's a 4" by 6" and 19 feet long!  Just a few blemishes.  I'll be able to get all of the legs from it.

[attachment=16378]

The beam has "1938 Hank E."  Painted on the side.  That's interesting, because the previous owner was named Henry, and his last name started with 'E'.  But we were told that they didn't move to the farm until the late 1940's.    Maybe just a coincidence??

[attachment=16382]

Here's the material for the table top.  9 ft long, and some are 18" wide!   They were used as walls in the granary building. I removed a few of the walls so that I could use the building as a garden shed. 

[attachment=16383]

More to come!

RE: Farm Table Build Along - R Clark - 02-09-2019

Cool!  Keep sharing.

What species are those slabs for the top?  Looks like there's plenty of character for a table with loads of visual interest.

RE: Farm Table Build Along - Redman - 02-09-2019

Cool

RE: Farm Table Build Along - Stwood_ - 02-09-2019

Awesome. I'm in.......
Big Grin

RE: Farm Table Build Along - Belle City Woodworking - 02-09-2019

Great material to start with!  That table is going to look fantastic!

John

RE: Farm Table Build Along - 2beast - 02-09-2019

Seriously interested 
Yes 
I will be doing some similar things upcoming 
Smirk

RE: Farm Table Build Along - Duane N - 02-09-2019

Looking forward to following the progress on the farm table.

RE: Farm Table Build Along - shoottmx - 02-09-2019

Cool! It's fun using lumber with history.

g

RE: Farm Table Build Along - Phil S. - 02-09-2019

Good looking inspector you have on the job there.
Smile

RE: Farm Table Build Along - camp10 - 02-11-2019

(02-09-2019, 09:40 AM)WxMan Wrote: Cool!  Keep sharing.

What species are those slabs for the top?  Looks like there's plenty of character for a table with loads of visual interest.

I think they are pine.   You can still see the saw marks.  That must have been quite the saw.