Woodnet Forums
Veritas Paring Chisels Coming Soon? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Veritas Paring Chisels Coming Soon? (/showthread.php?tid=7346327)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Veritas Paring Chisels Coming Soon? - Tony Z - 02-10-2019

(02-10-2019, 06:35 PM)wmickley Wrote: It looks like they still don't have any forging capacity.

Warren, if you're referring to whether powder metal can be forged, the answer is definitely yes. Many connecting rods in today's new cars, are forged from powder metal. There are at least three powder metal parts makers, within forty miles of me, doing forgings, with the majority from PM steel and some from aluminum.

I bought several Lee Valley tools, using PM-V11, but I would not wager what process is used to make the tools.

By the way, I own a PM plant, and though about 70% of our output goes into new vehicles, we do not do forgings.

RE: Veritas Paring Chisels Coming Soon? - Jason28 - 02-10-2019

According to Rob Lee those are flushing chisels. They’re apparently ready to go, they have plenty of stock, but they’re waiting until they have the rest of their chisel production caught up.

So what does one use a flushing chisel for? I’ve seen them before but never really thought more about them.

RE: Veritas Paring Chisels Coming Soon? - Mike Brady - 02-10-2019

Those chisels were on display at the Woodworking Show in Indianapolis last week.  Lee Valley had a booth there.

RE: Veritas Paring Chisels Coming Soon? - Rob Lee - 02-11-2019

Hi,

Y'all are forcing my hand a bit by driving this discussion before the release....

Yes - these chisels will be released soon. They are not really paring chisels, though they can be used to pare. They are modeled after a set from our collection, undoubtedly used in the patternmaking trade. I found them to be an elegant design, and a useful capability to add.

Unlike cranked neck chisels, these are not meant to be struck, nor is there room for your fingers under the handle. they are used two-handed: driving the chisel with the palm of one hand, and steering/holding the blade with the fingers of the other hand. We'll be calling them flushing chisels.... used for extending surfaces, flush cutting, or working into corners.

We'll have four sizes available, and they will come as a set, with one handle (sold individually too). Yes - the handle is removable. It has threaded stud that seats into a tapered socket.... locks up very securely, and easy to switch. Supplying only one handle really reduces the cost of ownership.

Truth be told - you do not need all of them (though "want" is always a different thing....). One would do for most people....

The blade construction was designed to take advantage of our plane blade making equipment - and the blades are lapped dead flat. The receiving socket is held in place with machine screws (the original design used welding).

I like 'em, and have uses for them.... but they are definitely not a "core" tool ....

Cheers -

Rob